YMMV: Captain Harlock
- Evil Is Sexy: The Mazone.
- French Love Captain Harlock: Or, more precisely, "Albator".
- Fridge Horror: about the Running Gag of saying that Emeraldas is the dangerous twin and Maetel the harmless one when it's Maetel the one who blew up a planet because she was disgusted. Becomes Fridge Horror when you realizes that not only is the people who knows them best to make those remarks, but the twins fully agree, making you wonder what the hell happened to consider a woman who destroyed a planet being harmless when compared to Emeraldas.
- Hate Sink: The Prime Minister of Earth in the first TV series. Everything he says or does is designed to make the audience want to punch him in the face.
- Macekre: Several times; most egregiously, Carl Macek himself combined one series with Queen Millennia to create Captain Harlock and the Queen of a Thousand Years.
- Tear Jerker: The entirety of episode 10 of SSX.
- The Woobie: Mayu in the first series. The television show takes a perverse pleasure in torturing the seven year old girl in increasingly horrible ways. She's never actually abused, but has her pet bird eaten by a hawk. Gets attacked by wolves (!?). She even is forced to clean a church by herself with water dragged from a nearby stream.