* AlternateCharacterInterpretation: Is the dress-ripping scene an early indication of David's attraction to Susan? After all, she's embarrassed him several times so why should he not want her to be publicly humiliated? Instead, he tries to cover her up and walk out of a potential meeting with Mr Peabody just to spare her the embarrassment.
** Susan makes up a story about David being a game hunter from Africa. Ten years later, Creator/KatharineHepburn stars in ''Film/TheAfricanQueen'' and gets an Oscar nomination for it.
** The second act of the movie has Susan bringing David to dinner against her aunt's wishes. Fast forward to ''Film/GuessWhosComingToDinner'' where Hepburn is on the other end of that argument.
* SheReallyCanAct: A variation. Creator/KatharineHepburn is remembered as one of the best dramatic actresses of the Golden Age of Hollywood. In this film, where she radically goes against type, she showed that she could be a talented comedian as well.
* SignatureScene: David jumping into the air while wearing Susan's robe and saying "I just went ''gay'' all of a sudden" - which is thought to be one of the first times the word was used to mean homosexuality.
* VindicatedByHistory: The film was a flop in its first release, to the point where Creator/KatharineHepburn had to buy out her contract to RKO and Howard Hawks was fired from ''Film/GungaDin''. Nowadays, it's regarded as a classic.
* VisualEffectsOfAwesome: Through DoubleVision, a leopard with a wrangler on set, some fearless courage from Katherine Hepburn and a few camera tricks, there's never any doubt that Baby is in the scene with the rest of the cast. And this is a movie from 1938.