- Big Lipped Alligator Moment: A comical montage of Bess and Dodo trying to set Jan up in the house. It's already stylistically out of step with the rest of the film, but what really pushes it over the edge is T.Rex's "Hot Love", the only non-diagetic music in the film discounting those used in the intertitles.
- Bittersweet Ending: Yes, Bess is dead. But she saved Jan, and few movies end with confirmation of a character ascending to Heaven.
- Holy Shit Quotient: There's probably only one, but considering it involves God Himself honoring Bess, it's likely to be a big one.
- Magnum Opus: Most agree Breaking the Waves is this for Lars von Trier. It's certainly his most sincere work.
- Tear Jerker: Bess' death is possibly one of the worst in all of cinema.