This film provides examples of:
- Crowning Music of Awesome: "A Town Called Malice."
- Hilarious in Hindsight: If you somehow manage to watch Billy Eliot for the first time after having seen Game of Thrones, you'll be very amused to recognize the actor who played Balon Greyjoy judging entrance auditions at a ballet school.
- Memetic Mutation: "DANCE, BILLY!!!" and also "HE FUCKING DID IT!!!"
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Tear Jerker: "Give the boy a fucking chance..."
The musical adaptation provides examples of:
- Big-Lipped Alligator Moment: "Expressing Yourself" features gigantic dancing dresses. No people, just dresses. It's supposed to be unrealistic, but that doesn't alleviate the weirdness very much.
- Some performances of "Merry Christmas, Maggie Thatcher" feature a giant, puppeteer-esque INFLATABLE Maggie Thatcher◊ looming over the stage/audience like a Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloon from Hell. She is nightmarish, captivating, horrifying... and never, ever mentioned again.
- Crowning Moment of Funny: Mrs. Wilkinson giving the miners and policemen an impromptu ballet lesson towards the end of "Solidarity".