- Jerkass Woobie: Ben. Roscoe also turns out to be one of these.
- Unintentionally Unsympathetic: We are supposed to feel bad for Ben but his wangst and jerkassery makes one feel bad for the dad more than Ben.
- Wangst: After David stops Victoria from drinking the punch thinking that Roscoe might have peed in it, Ben hates him again and tries to go to the bus stop so he can go live with his mother.
- What an Idiot: Roscoe went 13 years without knowing that David finked on him, even though David was known to be the town hero. At least this is mitigated for two reasons. 1. David became the town hero due to his success as a writer and becoming a bit of a celebrity. 2. Given Roscoe's reputation as a kid anybody other than David could have ratted him out.
- The Woobie: David, especially with this line:
David: But I'm the town hero...