- Acceptable Political Targets: Hitler Hound! Another Crowning Moment of Funny.
- Crowning Momentof Funny: Quite a few, which is surprising compared to the dark tone of the book.
- In one Nexus Humanus video that was part of the ARG, apparently a bunch of people saw the video and thought it was about an actual cult.
- Nightmare Fuel / Paranoia Fuel: The entire concept can fall into this, really. When you realize how easily all of this could be going on, and there's absolutely nothing you could do to stop it. How do you know you don't hold a full platoon of nanobots? How do you know you're not currently being wired?
- "Not If They Enjoyed It" Rationalization: a kind of zigzagged example. Bug Man never thinks of what he's done to Jessica in terms of rape or relating to rape at all, and she enjoys it, but let's not forget that he had to hack her brain to get her to be his girlfriend, which means either she refused him at first or he thought she would so he didn't even bother asking before going straight to rewiring. So basically she was forced to say yes, and also forced to like it, and she doesn't even know. See Nightmare Fuel above.