* BaseBreaker: Angela. And that's as far as we'll go to avoid flamebait, ladies and gents.
** ''Alissa''. Now that the dust has died down, she's either as good a replacement as any for Angela who faithfully and skillfully handles the material, or she's an egomaniacal jerk whose vocals simply can't compare to Angela's and whose image and stage presence are a poor fit.
* FaceOfTheBand: An odd variation on this with the face of the band at first being Michael Amott (formerly of influential grindcore/melodeath band Carcass) who many saw as the band's only important member. However when Angela joined the band, she became the face of the group and Michael became an afterthought.
** Now that he's a member, Jeff Loomis is beginning to become this due to his already-present status as a modern guitar icon.
* FanonDiscontinuity: Some fans choose to disregard anything from a certain era. There are those who believe that the group ended when Johann left, or that the group began when Angela joined, and now that she's leaving, they're leaving too.
* InternetBackdraft: State your preference on the Angela vs. Johann debate. I dare you...
** By the same respect, Angela vs Alissa - never mind that the two are good friends, and Angela allegedly hand-picked Alissa as her replacement.
* ReplacementScrappy: Alissa White-Gluz. The general consensus is that she is not a good fit and that their live show has suffered. Their popularity has been on the decline over the past few years and most are happy to blame her for it.
* TearJerker: The lyrics to "My Apocalypse" are about coming to the end of your life and looking at what's left with great nihilism.
** The guitar solo in, "My Apocalypse," is also a painful tear jerker.
** ''[[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gPg4euqvTc The Day You Died]]''. It is inspired by Anime/GraveOfTheFireflies. If you haven't seen it, watch the subbed version and listen to the song again. ''I dare you...''
* ViewerGenderConfusion: Angela's voice is so masculine that if you haven't been to any live concerts, or seen any music videos or pictures of the members, you might think she's a guy.