- Alternate Character Interpretation: Some have theorized that Donald is actually just Charlie's alternate personality.
- Hilarious in Hindsight:
- The "Car.... versus horse" subtext Donald places in his script makes the climactic battle in Avatar so much funnier, as this is pretty much exactly the subtext James Cameron was going for.
- Additionally, the Christian-themed horror film entitled Thr3e, which has the exact plot twist that Donald uses. Identity was also close enough that you could be forgiven for wondering if they hired Donald to write it.
- Tear Jerker:
- Donald's death, especially the tragic way Charlie sings to him to try to keep him awake.
- John Laroche's entire life and death.
- The Woobie: John Laroche loses his mother, uncle, and front teeth in a car accident that also puts his wife in a coma, which she wakes from only to immediately divorce him. His remaining possessions are then lost in a hurricane. Then he's killed by alligators.