- Fan Community Nickname: The Despair Faction
- Ho Yay: They love making suggestive jokes during interviews. Davey also tends to be rather publicly affectionate with his male friends compared to most other straight guys.
- It's Popular, Now It Sucks: Their major-label debut coincided with a major change in sound. Overlaps with They Changed It, Now It Sucks below.
- Loudness War: Burials has got to be their least earphones-friendly track. There are lots of complex background parts, especially in songs' choruses, not one of which is quiet or calm. The mix is a little bit messy.
- Magnum Opus: Generally considered to be Sing the Sorrow.
- Nightmare Fuel: The spoken word hidden track at the end of Sing the Sorrow.
- They Changed It, Now It Sucks: Given the fact that their sound from the beginning of their career to the present day has pretty much completely changed (even consecutive albums can sound substantially different,) it's to be expected that a fan of a particular album might not like all or any of the others. See It's Popular, Now It Sucks.
- True Art Is Angsty
- True Art Is Incomprehensible: Try to figure out what their short film "Clandestine" is about. Just try.