YMMV: A Child Called "It"
- Alternate Character Interpretation: A real-life example is David himself. An Iron Woobie who survived a childhood of abuse and who's books have a very well-deserved fanbase? Or a sick Attention Whore who Crosses the Line Twice by lying about an abusive childhood and blaming his late parents?
- Narm: After a while, the sheer amount of crap David goes through becomes so overwhelming that it spirals around to ridiculous. Especially bad if his siblings are correct, and it's a lie.
- Nausea Fuel: Catherine forces David to vomit after school every day to make sure he isn't sneaking food at school. One day, when she discovers food remains in his vomit, she puts it in a bowl and forces him to eat it.
- Nightmare Fuel: Most of the abuse is just horrifying. Especially the part where Catherine stabs David.
- The Woobie: Arguably David, if it is really based on a true story.