X Meets Y: Music
Poetry meets instruments
- Acid Bath boils down to Black Sabbath meets Alice in Chains meets a heroin overdose.
- Video on Trial once described Adam Lambert as "what would happen if Madonna grew a penis and had sex with Lady Gaga."
- AKB48 is what happens when more or less 48 Japanese schoolgirls become Idol Singers.
- Alice in Chains is Grunge meets Doom Metal
- Alestorm is Running Wild meets folk music.
- Amon Amarth is Manowar meets In Flames.
- Anal Cunt is Napalm Death meets The Mentors.
- An Cafe is Oasis meets L'arc~en~Ciel
- The German EBM group And One sounds like a cross between Depeche Mode and Kraftwerk.
- Angels & Airwaves was (by Tom Delonge's own admission) envisioned as a combination of U2 and Pink Floyd. They combine U2's soaring, arena-rock sound with Pink Floyd's lush soundscapes and outer-space motifs.
- Angra is Freedom Call meets Kate Bush
- Aphex Twin is Nine Inch Nails meets Merzbow.
- Avantasia is literally Edguy meets a laundry list of power metal and hair metal performers
- In the documentary film Punk: Attitude, Darryl Jenifer of the Bad Brains describes his band as a combination of The Ramones, Sex Pistols, and Dead Boys.
- Battles could be described as "Radiohead meet Frank Zappa."
- Beatallica is, well, The Beatles meets Metallica.
- The Beach Boys started out as The Four Freshmen meet Chuck Berry in a SoCal surf shop.
- In Benjamin Britten's War Requiem, the Requiem Mass meets the poems of Wilfred Owen.
- The Birthday Massacre is 80's Synth pop meets Nine Inch Nails.
- The Black Dahlia Murder is At The Gates meets Hypocrisy
- Early Black Flag is The Clash meets The Stooges. Later on, they became The Stooges meets Black Sabbath.
- Black Sabbath are Blue Cheer meets The Who Live at Leeds.
- And later, Motörhead are Blue Cheer meets a fistful of amphetamines.
- A good way to sum up Bob Dylan is Woody Guthrie meets Jack Kerouac.
- Early Blind Guardian is Helloween meets Judas Priest, later Blind Guardian is Gamma Ray meets Queen with a bit of Jethro Tull
- Bone Thugs-n-Harmony was described by one reviewer as NWA meets John Moschitta, Jr., meets Boyz II Men.
- Bonnie Pink could be called Utada Hikaru meets Colbie Caillat, with a pinch of Steely Dan and Adele.note
- Brave Combo were so named when people told them how brave they were to play Jimi Hendrix tunes as polkas.
- Jon Stewart, during the 2009 Kennedy Center Honors, said of Bruce Springsteen; "I believe that Bob Dylan and James Brown had a baby."
- The Byrds are The Beatles meets Bob Dylan.
- Candiria is Hatebreed meets East Coast Gangsta Rap.
- Celldweller is Linkin Park meets Throbbing Gristle.
- Cher Lloyd is Nicki Minaj (rap) and Avril Lavigne (punk image) incarnated.
- Chevelle is Tool plus Nirvana with a dash of Radiohead.
- Childish Gambino is Kid Cudi meets Drake with a bit of Kanye West and Andre 3000 for good measure.
- Chromeo is basically Zapp meets The System with a dusting of Daft Punk.
- Combichrist is best described as Ministry and Killing Joke meets Fear Factory
- Korean metal band Crash is Metallica meets Lamb Of God meets Korn.
- Montreal Technical Death Metal band Cryptopsy are Suffocation meets Morbid Angel.
- The Cult are AC/DC meets The Doors.
- Dan Bern is Bob Dylan meets early BECK in terms of songwriting.
- The solo album by Dan Swano of Edge of Sanity was self described as "Rush playing Death Metal in the 70s."
- The middle period of the career of Black Metal act Darkthrone is essentially Celtic Frost meets Burzum.
- Dark Tranquillity is Dream Theater meets Carcass.
- Their recent musical output is Death Metal meets Baroque pop.
- Dead By April is Backstreet Boys meets modern In Flames.
- Deadlock is Lacuna Coil meets Soilwork meets Rammstein meets djent.
- Rap act Dead Prez was considered a amalgamation of NWA and Public Enemy.
- Death Grips are Hardcore Hip Hop meets Industrial meets Cyber Punk meets Hardcore Punk.
- The Dear Hunter is a less electronic Muse meets indie rock.
- Deep Purple - Pink Floyd meets AC/DC.
- Defeated Sanity is Disgorge meets Classical and Jazz music.
- Deftones is Meshuggah meets My Bloody Valentine and Dream Theater.
- Demons And Wizards is literally Iced Earth meets Blind Guardian.
- DevilDriver is At The Gates meets Lamb Of God.
- Ronnie James Dio is more or less Black Sabbath meets Rainbow.
- Dir En Grey is Faith No More, Converge, Cannibal Corpse, Sunn O))), etc... meets Visual Kei.
- Disciple is Def Leppard meets Rage Against the Machine meets Soundgarden meets Jesus.
- Dismember is Autopsy meets Iron Maiden.
- Drake is Lil Wayne meets Kanye West (in fact Lil Wayne was the one who gave him a record deal).
- Dream Theater is Yes (progressive) meets Metallica (metal).
- The Dillinger Escape Plan is Converge meets The Who (Rockers Smash Guitars) and early X Japan (Dramatic Shattering, shock elements and even more instrument abuse)
- Dong Bang Shin Ki is Arashi meets Korean Pop Music
- Dschinghis Khan is kind of ABBA (Europop) meets Village People (Weird outfits).
- Edguy is Hammerfall meets Bon Jovi.
- Emeli Sande is the lovechild of John Lennon and Leona Lewis.
- Elvenking is Sonata Arctica meets folk music.
- Emilie Autumn's music is Victorian-era Classical Music meets industrial.
- Enslaved is Bathory meets Pink Floyd.
- Enter Shikari is Mr Bungle meets Electronic Music.
- Epica is Kamelot meets Nightwish, with the addition of death growls and classical elements.
- Your Favorite Martian was Gorillaz meets MC Chris.
- Evanescence is Lacuna Coil meets Björk meets Linkin Park meets Elegant Gothic Lolita.
- Excision is Merzbow meets Skrillex.
- The Evillious Chronicles can best be described as The Bible meets the latter half of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle meets Rule of Scary meets Vocaloid. With cute animals.
- The Faceless is Atheist meets Despised Icon.
- Faith No More is simply Mike Patton meets a whole list of rock and metal bands from The Nineties.
- Fear Factory is Pantera meets Killing Joke meets Swans.
- Finntroll is traditional Norwegian black metal meets polka music. From Finland. Really.
- Fireflight is Evanescence meets Journey meets Sandi Patty.
- Flight of the Conchords are Tenacious D (comedy rock) meets They Might Be Giants (college rock).
- Flogging Molly is Social Distortion meets The Dubliners
- Florence + the Machine: Ginger Spice meets Siouxsie and the Banshees. (Ironic since Flo Welch's favorite Spice Girl was Posh.)
- Foxy Shazam, from their second album forward, have been Queen meets indie rock.
- The Gazette is Pitch Shifter meets Deftones meets Visual Kei. Nowadays they've even added Rammstein and early Dir En Grey elements into their sound.
- Gazpacho are aha meets Radiohead meets Porcupine Tree
- Godflesh is Swans + Killing Joke + Ministry.
- God Is An Astronaut's early music was post-rock meets techno/downtempo. Their newer stuff is closer to straight-up post-rock but still with an electronic influence.
- Godsmack is Alice in Chains meets Disturbed, Creed, and Metallica.
- Gojira is Soulfly meets Tool meets a whole pod of Space Whales
- Green Carnation is Genesis + Iron Maiden + Candlemass.
- The Australian pop singer Giulietta has been said to be "Lady Gaga meets Cyndi Lauper", though nowadays she's more Rihanna meets Nicki Minaj.
- Hawkwind are basically "Pink Floyd meets MC5".
- Heavenly is Theocracy meets Gamma Ray
- Hideki Naganuma is something like Fatboy Slim meets J-Pop.
- Hollywood Undead is Rage Against the Machine (rap-rock) meets Slipknot (nu metal under masks), under the influence of strong depressants.
- House of Heroes is Weezer meets Guided By Voices meets REM meets Jesus.
- Iced Earth is Iron Maiden meets Metallica.
- Early Ill Nino is Sepultura meets Linkin Park. Later Ill Nino is Pantera meets Santana.
- In Flames began essentially as Ceremonial Oath with a dash of Iron Maiden. Now it's more like Korn meets Linkin Park meets Iron Maiden.
- Into Eternity can be described as Judas Priest meets 3 Inches Of Blood with a hint of Children of Bodom.
- Iron Maiden is 70's progressive rock (Kansas, Rush, Jethro Tull ect.) meets Judas Priest.
- Iwrestledabearonce is The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza meets Mr Bungle on a drug overdose.
- Ian Anderson is Sylvester McCoy in Alan Moore's body.
- K-Ci & Jo Jo is what you get when Peter Cetera and Sam Cooke decide to become a duo.
- Kanon Wakeshima is Emilie Autumn meets Japanese Pop Music. With cellos.
- Kalmah is Dark Tranquillity meets Gojira meets the swamps of Finland.
- King Crimson are Pink Floyd plus The Beatles meets Metallica.
- Gene Simmons said that he originally wanted KISS to be a "Heavy Metal Beatles."
- Knife Party is Pendulum meets House Music meets Harsh Noise.
- Korn is Pantera meets Red Hot Chili Peppers meets Mr Bungle.
- Kraftwerk = The Beatles + Jean Michel Jarre.
- Kyary Pamyu Pamyu is Katy Perry meets Gwen Stefani meets Japanese Pop Music.
- Lady Gaga could be described as Fergie meets Gwen Stefani meets Madonna meets Shazza meets Emilie Autumn meets Marilyn Manson. Add some Postmodernism and Synth Pop too...
- Lady Sovereign could be described as "Miley Cyrus and Eminem had a baby, with anti-aging drugs."
- Lamb Of God can be described as Lynyrd Skynyrd meets Pantera, Slayer and Sepultura.
- Merge Barbra Streisand and Christina Aguilera and you get the sort of music Lea Michele makes.
- Machine Head is Vulgar Display of Power meets Beneath the Remains meets Master of Puppets.
- Manowar is Judas Priest meets Motörhead meets Black Sabbath meets Queen meets a massive fucking boatload of ham.
- 90s band Man Or Astroman has been described as the Ventures meet Devo.
- Maria Cross is Phil Anselmo meets Seth Putnam meets Dani Filth meets Chris Barnes meets Kyo meets Harsh Noise.
- Maxwell is often described as Marvin Gaye meets Sade.
- Melt Banana is Anal Cunt meets J-pop.
- Merzbow is Throbbing Gristle meets Swans meets Japan.
- Meshuggah is Atheist meets Pantera meets apocalyptic science fiction.
- Early Metallica was essentially Diamond Head meets Discharge.
- A Billboard review of Miguel ("All I Want Is You") describes him as Babyface meets R. Kelly.
- Mindless Self Indulgence can be described as the modern-sounding punk-pop of Fall Out Boy with the comedic machismo of Electric Six and the overarching Genre Roulette one would associate with Primus.
- Ministry is Skinny Puppy meets Megadeth and Slayer
- The Misfits are 70s punk meets b-movie cheese
- Moe and ghosts sounds like a mix of Cibo Matto, Lauryn Hill, and Tech N9ne, with a dash of Ol' Dirty Bastard.
- Mother's Finest was described by some fans as Led Zeppelin meets Ike and Tina.
- Muse is Queen meets Science Fiction: particularly Orwell.
- Nanowar of Steel is Manowar meets "Weird Al" Yankovic
- Nicki Minaj is 50% Lady Gaga (glammed-out dress style) and 50% Lil Kim (female rapper).
- Nightwish's "Meadows Of Heaven" song is like Gospel music + choir vocals (especially towards the end) mixed with Epic Rocking.
- Nirvana has been self-described as The Knack and the Bay City Rollers being molested by Black Flag and Black Sabbath.
- Nitro has been said to be Mötley Crüe plus King Diamond.
- Oathean is Behemoth meets Chthonic meets Korean folk music.
- Of Mice and Men are Attack Attack! minus electronic music plus djent.
- One Direction can be seen as Backstreet Boys (boy-band) meets Justin Bieber (popular with the same generation of teenage girls).
- Panic! at the Disco could be described as Fall Out Boy meets The Killers or The Beatles, depending on the album.
- Pantera is what happens when a certain Texas Hair Metal band meets the Big Four of Thrash, drops the glam look, and takes a Darker and Edgier turn
- Periphery is Meshuggah meets Deftones.
- Pogo is Todd Edwards meets either Nujabes or Owl City.
- Porcupine Tree is Pink Floyd meets Rush meets Metallica.
- Psychostick is Bloodhound Gang meets Hatebreed and/or Five Finger Death Punch.
- Early Queen was Led Zeppelin meets David Bowie.
- Queensr˙che is Iron Maiden meets Pink Floyd.
- Radiohead is essentially The Pixies meets REM meets Aphex Twin plus Pink Floyd.
- Rainbow is Deep Purple meets Black Sabbath.
- Rich Girl is when Beyoncé and Kelly Rowland decide to call up Jennifer Lopez and Nicole Scherzinger from the Pussycat Dolls to form a super group.
- Rings Of Saturn is Arsonists Get All The Girls meets Viraemia... IN SPACE!!
- Scar Symmetry can be described as Dismember meets Stratovarius.
- Septycal Gorge is Defeated Sanity meets Hour Of Penance.
- Seremedy is Escape the Fate meets Versailles and Soilwork.
- SHINee is Dong Bang Shin Ki meets Oshare Kei
- Sigh is Emperor meets Faith No More meets King Diamond.
- SikTH is The Dillinger Escape Plan meets Korn meets Converge.
- Silencer is Burzum meets an insane asylum.
- Skindred is mid-career Sepultura + Reggae or Bad Brains meets Soulfly, System of a Down and Candiria.
- Skrillex is Skream meets Aphex Twin or Deadmau5 meets Merzbow, depending on the song.
- Slayer is Motörhead meets Metallica meets Venom.
- Sleepy Brown has been described as a lechery-prone Curtis Mayfield and I Want You-era Marvin Gaye with the imagery of Hot Buttered Soul-era Isaac Hayes.
- Social Distortion is 80s era punk meets Johnny Cash.
- Early Soulfly was Sepultura meets Santana. Now it's more like old Sepultura meets new Sepultura meets tribal percussion.
- Sonata Arctica is Helloween meets Yes.
- "Stop Pause" is "Land Of 1,000 Dances" meets Southern Hip Hop.
- Supercell is Nine Inch Nails meets Hatsune Miku meets Nico Nico Douga meets Pixiv.
- Swans: Pink Floyd meets Throbbing Gristle.
- Symphony X is what you would get with Dream Theater playing Power Metal.
- System of a Down is Faith No More meets Middle Eastern music.
- They Might Be Giants are "Weird Al" Yankovic meets Mind Screw meets Word Salad Lyrics meets Crazy Awesome!
- Thin Lizzy is Jimi Hendrix meets The Dubliners
- Threat Signal is the child of Fear Factory, Killswitch Engage, Meshuggah and Linkin Parknote .
- 3 Inches Of Blood are something akin to Judas Priest meets HammerFall with harsh vocals.
- On the other hand, Tool are King Crimson meets Nine Inch Nails.
- Tourniquet is Slayer + Petra with a dash of Rush.
- The Toyes are Bob Marley meets the Barenaked Ladies.
- TRAX is L'arc~en~Ciel meets X Japan meets Korean Pop Music.
- Turisas have been described as "the bastard offspring of The Levellers and Manowar".
- Tyler The Creator is early Eminem meets Lil Wayne meets MF Doom meets Anal Cunt.
- Twelve Foot Ninja is Mr Bungle meets djent.
- Two Gallants is The Violent Femmes meets Bob Dylan
- Unleashed can be described as the child of Obituary and Vader.
- Vamps is whan happens when Marilyn Manson meets Japan
- Veil of Maya is At The Gates meets djent
- Venetian Snares is Whitehouse meets Aphex Twin.
- Versailles is Gackt meets DragonForce meets Rose of Versailles
- It's literally Lareine meets the Hizaki Grace Project.
- And Jupiter is basically 80% of the band meets Progressive Metal.
- The Violent Femmes is The Velvet Underground meets gospel music, and/or proto-punk
- Vocaloid is Synthetic Voice Actor meets Auto-Tune.
- Wagakki Band is basically what happens to Slipknot if they were Visual Kei, played Japanese folk music, and had a kimono-wearing chick for a singer. Yeah, make of that if you will.
- The White Stripes are MC5 meets Dead Kennedys.
- Wolfmother is AC/DC meets Black Sabbath meets Led Zeppelin.
- Wolves at the Gate is Underoath meets DragonForce meets The Bible.
- X Japan is basically KISS meets Twisted Sister meets Metallica meets Dream Theater meets Yoshiki Hayashi.
- YOHIO is Hizaki meets Takanori Nishikawa meets Gackt.
- Youngblood Brass Band is a brass band meets Rap.
- Early on, Yousei Teikoku is Skinny Puppy meets Lacuna Coil. Nowadays it's more like Malice Mizer meets Evanescence
- The band Zipthunk! was described in a review as "Like The Monkees getting fucked by The Pixies while Elvis Costello films the whole thing."
- Disco polo is Italo Disco meets traditional Polish drinking songs.
- Folk punk bands are inevitably described as "The Pogues meets [whatever punk band seems most appropriate]". Given that The Pogues are the Ur Example of the genre, this can seem a little redundant.
- New Wave Of British Heavy Metal was punk energy with Heavy Metal musicianship.
- The psychobilly genre is basically 1950s rockabilly meets a Zombie Apocalypse.
- Rock & Roll can be described as Blues meets Country.
- This is essentially the entire point of 'mash-ups', where you take two songs and mesh them into one. The quality of these mash-ups, however, tends to vary.
- Vaporwave is mid-late 80's muzak or Contemporary Pop music meets DJ Screw meets the Earthbound OST. Indeed, this track may be the Ur Example of Vaporwave.