"Many centuries ago, three carefully-selected young Earthlings were transported from their native lands to my faraway world. Here they were granted astounding powers, and eternal youth, then returned to Earth, their mission to watch over the human race, helping the good in it to survive and flourish."Space Sentinels (originally named The Young Sentinels until it was renamed partway through the season) is a 1970s cartoon series made by Filmation for NBC.The story tells the tale of three heroes — Hercules, Mercury and Astrea — who have been taken out of their timestreams to a faraway world to protect mankind there. Hercules and Mercury were based on the figures from Greek & Roman mythology but Astrea was created for the series.The series was well known for being ahead of its time due to the inclusion of two Token Minority characters, forming its own Token Trio.
Space Sentinels provides examples of:
- Aliens Speaking English: Sentinel-1 and Mo.
- All Your Powers Combined: Morpheus in "The Sinister Sentinel" had all three sentinel's powers - Hercules' strength, Mercury's speed and Astrea's animorphing.
- Animorphism: Astrea.
- Friend to All Living Things: Also Astrea. She can understand all animal languages and can befriend any animal, even ones normally terrified of humans.
- Latex Space Suit: Mercury and Astrea's costumes.
- Mind over Matter: The power of the title villain in the episode "Loki".
- Robot Buddy: Sentinel-1's Maintenance Operator, "Mo" for short.
- Shapeshifter Baggage: There's apparently no size limits to what Astrea can turn into, from mouse to elephant.
- Small Annoying Creature: Again, Mo.
- Stock Footage: Filmation was very well known for doing this in most of its animated series, and this is no exception.
- Super Speed: Mercury
- Super Strength: Hercules
- Token Minority / Token Trio / Twofer Token Minority: Mercury is Asian (implied to be Chinese in "The Wizard of Od"), Astrea is black (probably African), and even Hercules is Ambiguously Brown (though he might just have a good tan).
- Walking Shirtless Scene: Hercules
- Your Magic's No Good Here: In "The Wizard of Od", the team visits an alternate dimension called Fansia, where their powers work oddly, when they work at all: Mercury finds himself going super-slowly, Hercules has no super-strength, and Astra can only turn into mythical animals.