Web Video / The Midnight Society
It is near your bedtime? That’s alright. We’re sure you didn’t need to sleep, anyway. As you know, Creepypasta
are scary stories that originated on the internet and still float around from site to site. You can find compilations of them all over the internet. Just have a look at the External Links on Creepypasta’s main page! Well, with the advent of Creepypasta came dramatic readings of it
. Meet The Midnight Society
They’re a online group of independent voice over artists that post their work on YouTube
. At the present, they consist of Mr. Creepy Pasta
, Miss Shadow Lovely
, The Creepy Dark
, Humble Little Narrator
, Lady Mischievous 577
, Warlock the Ripper
, and the musical talents of Hawaiian Spirit 130
, who contribute the background music for much of the readers’ videos, in addition to making other tracks.
This provides examples of:
- April Fools' Day: Played by Mr. Creepy Pasta in this video. It begins as a straightforward reading of Upstairs, but then...
- Body Horror: "Something Horrible Is Happening To Me In Pokemon GO" has this in spades. People are being mutated into Pokemon lookalikes by the toxic waste in their town while searching for Pokemon.
- Crossover: It's not uncommon for a reader to have "guest voices" contributing performances for supporting characters in any given video. The most frequent examples are when a male reader needs a female voice and vice versa.
- Dramatic Reading: The whole purpose.
- The Faceless: Majority of the members of The Midnight Society hide their faces, but the most known is Mr.Creepy Pasta....at least until San Japan where, to thank his 900k fans on YouTube, he revealed his face.
- Mood Whiplash: See April Fools' Day.
- Mr. Creepypasta's reading of "Out With a Bang" ends... abruptly.
- Shout-Out: The group's name is based on the 90s family TV show, Are You Afraid of the Dark?.
- The Slender Man Mythos: They've all pretty much read text stories based around everyone's favorite faceless abomination.
- For that matter, most of them have also dabbled in 'pasts about The Rake.
- Jeff the Killer is another prominent pastamonster who shows up frequently.
- Smiledog, too.
- Title Drop: One of the more... inventive examples occur at the end of Mr. Creepypasta's reading of "Out With a Bang".