The whole move is a dying dream.
- Our hero uploaded more than his brain could handle and promptly died on the spot.
Johnny's ladyfriend really did leave to get some ice.
- The hotel was horrible, and they couldn't have it brought to them by room service.
- She could've also been the 10,000 $-hooker he screamed for in the famous (or infamous) rant.
Takahashi's daughter was a juvenile spy.
- The only explicit detail we ever learn about her death is that she died "to protect PharmaKom's profit margins", therefore, we can determine from this that she could have played a role in leaking the cure to the corporate "defectors" who got the data to Johnny. Takahashi's daughter was spotted by her enemies during her secret mission and wound up killed.
- I thought it pretty obvious that she died of NAS, which Pharmakom was suppressing the cure to.
- The computer AI informs Takahashi that PharmaKom "let [his] daughter die", but that's because they refused to give her food and water while in captivity after her failed mission.
The Pharmakom building was set on fire by the Pharmakom employees themselves
Since, according to Spider, half of the human race is suffering from NAS, there's a good chance, that there are tons of people in Pharmakom like Takahashi in the Yakuza, who's child/friend/lover/spouse/relative/SO died because of Pharmakom bein punk-asses. Se when they hear the transmission of the NAS cure, they start to think: "FUCK, my child/friend/lover/spouse/relative/SO died, even when they had the cure! I'm gonna make them PAY!" and started to stir up shit.
How the plot can be repaired
- NAS is actually a bioweapon. The data on the cure also contains the data on how to make it in the first place. This is why only certain people can be trusted with the data, and the original was destroyed.
- Johnny actually did inherit a ton of cash from his mom, and also makes hundreds of housands of dollars per run. This is how he got his current implant and memory doubler, and why Spider notes that his cyberware is really upscale. This is also how Johnny can afford room service, $10000-per-night hookers, and hotels like the Imperial in Tokyo. However, the procedure that he needs to get his memories back will cost billions of dollars.
- When Johnny got his implant, his mom AI detected this, and copied his childhood memories to a safe place. She also put in him a directive to make him want to get his memories back.
- Johnny's mother AI was also the one who arranged the final job, and she put Johnny's lost memories into the data about NAS.
Johnny didn't get his memories back
The Pharmakom AI looked into the personal history and motivations of Johnny when he took the job, and crafted a false set of childhood memories to be used as the reward for delivering the data.
You see that Main Page
over there? THAT'S
where you're supposed to be!