The game in a nutshell.
"Join the numbers and get to the 2048 tile!"
2048 is a sliding puzzle Web Game
that can be played here
, based on 1024
by Veewo Studios, and conceptually similar to Threes
by Asher Vollmer.
Use the arrow keys to slide all the blocks in that direction. A block that slides into another with the same value will combine with it, adding their values together. Your goal is simpleóget a block of the value 2048. You lose if you are unable to make any more moves.
Tropes present in 2048
- A Winner Is You
- Bonus Boss: You can choose to continue playing after reaching 2048, and several people have been able to get a 4096 tile.
- Some people who have built code to auto-play the game have reached the 8192 tile. No news yet on whether anyone has achieved the 16384 tile.
- Asusfood on reddit calculated the highest theoretical tile is 131072, with a maximum score of 3932156 points, and at one move per second, reaching it will consume approximately 35.5 hours of your life.
- On the eight-by-eight version, 16384 is the goal, and 131072 has been achieved at least once.
- Difficulty Spike: Once you obtain a 256 or 512 block, it becomes much harder to manage your resources well.
- Follow the Leader: Many spin-offs and modifications of the game have been made, including one based off Flappy Bird and another inspired by Numberwang. And of course, X-rated versions.
- Gravity Screw: If you view the bottom of the board to be downnote , your job is to invoke this so that the blocks will move in the direction you pressed.
- Luck-Based Mission: Downplayed. With each move, a block will appear randomly in an empty space. Most times, the new block will be a "2", but there is a random chance that it will be a "4" instead. Winning strategies focus on minimizing or outright eliminating the risk of bad tiles getting into obstructive places, but unless you're not human, there will always be those occasions where you are forced into a painful choice, and can only hope the Random Number God is feeling merciful.
- Match Three Game: Match two, actually.
- Morton's Fork: If the placement of your tiles is bad, then you will be forced to move in an undesired direction. You can't skip a movement because new tiles only spawn after you moved.
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Powers Of Two: The Game.
- Sliding Puzzle
- Up To 9007199254740992: Unofficial versions of the game have the objective of reaching even higher numbers, such as 9007199254740992 (2 to the 53rd power).