Video Game: The Fairyland Story
A 1985 Arcade Game by Taito, set in the Super-Deformed fantasy world of the Alfalfa kingdom. The gameplay is similar to Taito's later and more famous Elimination Platformer Bubble Bobble, though without a co-op mode. The player controls the little red witch Ptolemy, whose magic wand can transform monsters into cake. Ptolemy has to defeat all the enemies of 100 single-screen stages before challenging the dragon Dracolisk for a magic crystal.Ports for the MSX and Sharp X68000 were Japan-exclusive, but the game did receive an international rerelease on the Taito Legends 2 compilation.
This game contains examples of:
- 1-Up: The Book of Life.
- Big Red Devil: Named 'Horned', though not quite so big.
- Cap: 9,999,990 points is the counter stop.
- Collision Damage: Though it's Ptolemy's main vulnerability, she doesn't die if she stays on her enemies' heads (until they jump, anyway) and can actually use them as means of transportation.
- Cute Witch: Ptolemy.
- Directionally Solid Platforms: Present in every stage.
- Dragon Rider: Ptolemy has her own dragon to ride between some intermediate stages.
- Every 10,000 Points: The game gives extra lives at 30,000 points, at 100,000 points, and every 100,000 points thereafter.
- Floating in a Bubble: When Ptolemy dies by running into an enemy, she gets swept away into a bubble.
- One-Hit-Point Wonder: The only thing that hurts Ptolemy but doesn't kill her is the wizard's spell, which weakens her with the first hit.
- Point Of No Continues: You can't continue once past Round 98.
- Stalked by the Bell: The Big Red Devil will fly into the stage if Ptolemy takes too long to kill enemies. If there's only one enemy left, it's a different story.