Video Game: StarMade
StarMade is an open ended sandbox game for the PC. During its alpha phase, it was a free-to-play title, while later versions can be paid for on platforms such as Steam. It offers both single player and multiplayer game modes.The game puts the player in a very large, randomly generated universe. They then need to build themselves a ship with various blocks and then find out what they want to do. The entire game is made out of blocks much like Minecraft which is one of its inspirations.The game's web page can be found here.The game's wiki can be found here.
Starmade provides examples of:
- Damn You, Muscle Memory: If you're used to playing Minecraft, you'll find yourself making a lot of messes due to the mouse controls to place and remove blocks being the exact opposite.
- Deflector Shields: You can purchase shield generators for your ships. More can be bought to create a stronger shield, but each shield needs power to function which means you will need more power generators.
- Evil Is Not Well Lit: Pirate space stations are very dimly lit compared to the other generated stations.
- Evil Makes You Monstrous: Pirate-controlled space stations are covered in tentacles made of purple metal and glowing ice crystals.
- Flat World: Every planet in the game was originally flat.
- As of Update 0.15, planets are dodecahedrons instead.
- Item Crafting: The player can set up factories and use them to create items.
- Lava Adds Awesome: Lava can be found inside of asteroids.
- No Plot? No Problem!
- Procedural Generation: All the planets, asteroids and structures you can find are generated. The map is generated as the player explores.
- Space Friction: Ships require constant power to travel and the ship will slow down if you run out of power to give the engines.
- Space Pirates: You can find pirate space stations armed with turrets, each one contains some random treasure. Pirates can also send out random attacks at you. They are the only NPC enemies in the game currently.
- Stealth in Space: A cloaking device is one available ship component.
- Wide Open Sandbox: You start the game spawned next to a store and you're free to do whatever you want. Mine asteroids, fight space pirates, recreate your favorite spaceship or just explore.