''Solar Winds I'' and ''Solar Winds II'' are top down, space-based action games released in 1993.
In ''Solar Winds'', Jake Stone a bounty hunter goes through several missions and uncovers a secret coalition between the government of his home solar system and a race of unidentified aliens. Upon further investigation, he finds out that, in fact, there is more than one solar system involved. And what is really happening is that three easily-provoked races are being held by a more technologically advanced race in a small cluster of solar systems, and kept there by a force field around them. Hyperdrive technology has been sabotaged, and the 'keys', jump points between solar systems, kept secret.
In the second game, ''Solar Winds II'', Jake Stone, again is trapped in a galaxy. Seven systems have been set up by members of the same race that rescued him and each system contains a species. They are monitored and pushed and prodded, and through a series of jobs that take you from one system to another you are contacted by the same resistors that rescued Jake previously. They help smuggle him outside of the barriers in order to destroy the controller and free all the captive races.
!!This VideoGame contains examples of:
* BountyHunter: Jake Stone.
* DuelBoss: One of the battles in Episode 1 is against a ship that looks exactly like your own.
* GuideDangIt: Good look figuring out how to progress through Episode 1 without a walkthrough. This is really not helped when you eventually get the ability to travel ''really fast'' between stars and have to find the correct stars to visit - and in the correct order.
* LaResistance: There's a group of rebels fighting against the government of Jake's solar system. You'll eventually join up with them.
* SequenceBreaking: It's theoretically possible to beat Episode 1 without using the hyperdrive by simply waiting a really dang long time.
* UnwinnableByDesign: There are many possible actions that will close off the plot in Episode 1. See GuideDangIt above.
* WideOpenSandbox: Episode 1 is structured like this, requiring a bit of exploration around the starting solar system.
* AWinnerIsYou: Don't expect anything big and dramatic for beating the game.