is a first-person, open-world Survival Horror
game. It is currently in development at Broken Window Studios after getting funded on Kickstarter
. The game features heavy emphasis on the lack of weapons, with light beign the only thing that kill or ward off the monsters, and on procedural generation, with the environment re-arranging itself every morning. The development team has also stated their desire to create a more surreal kind of horror, and cited Silent Hill
and Salvador Dali
as their inspirations. More information is available here here
Grave currently shows examples of the following tropes:
- Attack Its Weak Point: Some creatures, like the Progenitor, can only hurt by light shone at a specific location.
- Bizarro World: Though the place you’re in is supposed to be a desert, you will occasionally encounter pockets of forest, rural towns or cityscape, completely disconnected from everything else … and they will appear and disappear every day at will.
- In-Universe Game Clock: The shift between day and night is a core gameplay mechanic. The player is safe during the day and has to use that time to gather supplies and light-generating tools. Then, the night comes, and player has to use what they have collected in order to survive.
- Item Crafting: Another important mechanic in the game.
- Kung-Fu Proof Mook: Not all creatures are vulnerable to light: some will be attracted to it and can be distracted by throwing flares and flashbangs.
- Randomly Generated Levels: The landscape around the player will change with every day, and items that were there yesterday might not be there today.
- Scenery Porn: The desert is wide, open, and very beautiful.
- Shockwave Stomp: The Progenitor creature attacks by emitting a psychic pulse that harms anyone around it.
- Weakened by the Light: Basic enemies, like the Strangers, are very vulnerable to light and will be killed by it. Other enemies have different reactions.