Video Game: Balmung Cycle
Developed by Magi, Balmung Cycle is an RPG based loosely on Norse mythology. It was made in RPG Maker 2003 and has had segments, specifically the battle system, entered in RPG development community competitions.The game has you take on the role of Blitz Ymir, once a warrior for the Aesir, who is made an offer by Loki. Besides the trickster god, Blitz meets other important figures and warriors in Norse mythology, from the gods to einherjar and valkyries.Balmung Cycle uses rips from the game Treasure of the Rudra. Beyond that, it stands on its own legs, with its own take on an active-time battle system, RPG character tropes and minigames (including dueling and rescuing a man from heart failure).
Tropes found in Balmung Cycle:
- Cloudcuckoolander: Elm.
- Guest Star Party Member: Hod
- Hijacked by Jesus: Most of the world seems to inexplicably follow a monotheistic religion that seems unrelated to any of the Norse Gods who are present in the setting.
- Idiot Hero: Alrick. Blitz, thankfully, is anything but.
- Limit Break: By building up your adrenaline points, each character can perform wicked, over-the-top Hyper Attacks. You can also spend adrenaline on minor skills.
- Norse Mythology : The game is based on (and deviates from) it.
- Omnicidal Maniac: Njord, though he has a pretty good reason.
- She Is All Grown Up: Elm following the time skip, though no one really comments on this.
- Warrior Poet: Blitz has shades of this.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: A lot of sub-plots drop off without explanation, notably Hod's.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: Blitz, although he is older than he looks.