TV Tropes Needs Your Help
View Kickstarter Project
Big things are happening on TV Tropes! New admins, new designs, fewer ads, mobile versions, beta testing opportunities, thematic discovery engine, fun trope tools and toys, and much more - Learn how to help here
and discuss here
Tropers: Phantom Dusclops 92
Yay! I'm writing my own page!
Well... what I have to say? Good thing. I'm an Otaku. Hello.
Also, I'm Italian.
This Troper actually shows the following Tropes (among others):
- Adaptation Displacement / Early Installment Weirdness: My reaction when I was reading the Yu-Gi-Oh! manga for the first time, since I knew only the 4Kids adaptation of the anime: Japanese names? Swearing? No card games? A noseless, shark-toothed Pharaoh wearing ankhs on his wrists playing death-threatening games?
- Berserk Button: Let's just say diminutives piss me off. Also:
- Reading Dethroning Moment Of Suck entries bashing my favourite scenes from various series. note
- Footnotes explaining stuff I already know. note
- Also the footnotes in mangas about how much is in Euros that pricetag in Yen they just mentioned.
- Or including Translator's note at the end, which in my mind amounts to "The translator wants to say he's smarter than you".
- Wrong footnotes, like:
- "Gamera is Godzilla's enemy" note
- Getting the description of what Takoyaki is wrong. note
- Everytime Hasbro releases some Transformers waves everywhere except for Italy. Examples include every Generations wave after the first one, every Revenge Of The Fallen Voyager Class figure starting with the Long Haul one and, most important, the last waves of Animated, like the ones with Waspinator and Wreck-Gar.
- Also some waves have being released everywhere except for the region where I live, like Movie Jetfire, Animated Lugnut, Blitzwing and Grimlock and Power Core Combiners after wave 1, except for a single wave 3 5-pack. Albeit sometimes they arrive later (examples: Animated Soundwave and ROTF Lockdown. The first was released in Wave 3 along with Jazz, Snarl and Oil Slick in Italy during November 2008. In Genoa, where I live, he and Jazz arrived only in December 2009. ROTF Lockdown was announced in commercials along with Recon Ironhide and Bludgeon in January 2010: the latter two actually were never released in Italy, while him was released in Italy only at December of the same year... but as an exclusive for a singular chain of stores and duty-free shops on boats.)
- Crowning Moment of Awesome: One day, four years ago, I was bored. Then an idea came up to me: what if I phoned to the Official Nintendo Magazine and had a chat with the chief director? And I did it. Next month, guess what? The mail section includes a reference to my phone call. There aren't enough words to describe my joy.
- Discovering that for the first time there was going to be a New Super Mario Bros. Wii tournament in my town, getting signed in, getting first place and winning a Nintendo 3DS. If this is not awesome...
- Everybody Hates Mathematics: Subverted.
- Fetish Fuel: For some reason, I like White Gloves. And ties too.
- For a more normal fetish, I like Gothic Lolitas.
- Also, I just got a fetish for stockings.
- Genre Savvy: And proud of it.
- Guilty Pleasure: Watching the Australian edition of Prank Patrol is probably one of those for me.
- Man of a Thousand Voices: I can even do female voices!
- Security Blanket: The latest issue of every magazine I read.
- Shout-Out: In my Pokémon games, every Mon gets a name referring to something else it reminds to me. Examples are Geronimo the Raticate, Heatblast the Blaziken, Sid the Slakoth, Dedede the Empoleon, Omi the Mienfoo and Ganon the Emboar. Weird case is a Clefable named Starscream. You know, Clefairy is star-shaped, so...
- Black 2 team: Ifrit the Emboar, Otohime the Lapras, Hermes[[note]] from the Olympus Code arc, where the genetically engineered team of athletes features as the runner a crocodile codenamed Hermes. Probably I'll do the whole team one day, with Poseidon the hawk/Staraptor, Artemis the rooster/Blaziken, Zeus the wildcat/Luxray and Efestus the duck/Magmortar the Krookodile, Lamia the Crobat, IronHammernote the Golurk and Shockblast the Magnezone.
- Shout-Out Theme Naming: My actual team in Pokémon Black is formed by Swanna, Pidgeot, Beheeyem, Lopunny, Gallade and Furret. Their nicknames? Haruhi, Kyon-Kun, YukiNagato, Mikuru, Itsuki-Kun and Tsuruya.
- Stock Yuck: I hate this thing, but then I dislike every vegetable in the universe except potatoes and eggplants. And cheese.
This Troper's works:
- The Wacky Adventures of Maurice's Pokémon Team: heavily based on Random Doom, about my OC's Pokémon doing weird stuff. The main characters include a wisecracking Gallade, a naive Sceptile, a Yandere Ampharos, a badass Excadrill, an idiot Furret and other guys.
- Cubone Adventures: the premise of this story changed a lot during time, but the whole story is about a Cubone, his best friend Combusken and the Kirlia Twins. Originally was going to be an adaptation of the first PokémonMysteryDungeon, then it became Peanuts WITH POKÉMON! and then it became a weird thing, with Combusken stealing the spotlight of the whole thing.
- Transformers Linkmasters: in a universe where the Matrix of Leadership has been lost, Autobots are divided in various teams like the S.T.A.R.S (led by Hound), the Patrolbots (led by Inferno) and the Hoverbots (led by Springer), while fighting the Decepticons led by Soundwave. Every Transformer is linked to a Targetmaster partner who turns into a weapon, and the Targetmasters themselves can combine to form more powerful weapons.
- My Little Pony: Weirdness is Everywhere: Emotionless unicorn Moonshine Gleam gets a weird company of friends, like street punk Gumball Pop, jealousy-overloaded flyer Aurora Boost and attention maniac Golden Wonder.
The works have tropes too:
- Canon Immigrant: The main character from The Wacky Adventures of Maurice's Pokémon Team appeared first into my best friend's never-published fanfic Pokémon EX. The character was already a caricature of me, so I basically own the right for him. In a more accurate use of the trope, later chapters of EX feature the personality of his Gallade as shown in Wacky Adventures.
- Cool Shades: Dark Kirlia in Cubone Adventures, Excadrill in The Wacky Adventures of Maurice's Pokémon Team, Gumball Pop in My Little Pony: Weirdness is Everywhere, Springer, Skyhammer and Tomahawk in Transformers Linkmasters.
- Development Hell: Everyone of them fells into them. The Wacky Adventures of Maurice's Pokémon Team had a pilot fanfic, but it wasn't followed muchnote .
- Hilarious in Hindsight: the whole concept of Linkmasters was created one year before the Japanese release of the Prime toyline, whose addition of the Arms Microns bases on the same concept of my interpretation of Targetmasters: robot weapons that combine to form bigger weapons.
- Role Association: As i usually imagine VAs for my characters, I can do them for my worksnote :
- My Little Pony: Weirdness is Everywhere: Arcee was a loner unicorn, until she met the bubblegum addicted Iris, fallen child star searching for a new fame Harley Quinn and cold, jealousy-ridden pegasus Gagaga Girl.
- Shout-Out: From Transformers Linkmasters:
- Speedbooster, the local Autobot speedster, is based on the Initial D parody in episode 6 of Lucky Star, down to have Yui's car as his altmode.
- His best friend, Skyjack, is not based so much from his G2 counterpart, but more on G1 Powerglide and from Kukai, whose Chara Nari is also called Sky Jack. His Targetmaster Barricade is based both of the Movieverse Decepticon and the omonimous Nerf gun.
- Nightbeat is very Inspector Gadget-esque, with Eject and Rewind acting as his Gadgetinis.
- From the Decepticon side, we have Frenzy, Rumble and Slipstream, which are basically Yakko, Wakko and Hello Nurse.
- Skywarp is a freakish mixup between Animated Lugnut, Movieverse Bonecrusher, G1 Skywarp and Abomination.
- Runabout and Runamuck are a hybrid of the Katayaragi twins with Animated Jetfire and Jetstorm. Their paintjobs are inspired from the SHIPS, being one white with blue stripes and black legs and the other one black with purple stripes and white legs.
- Grapple and Hoist are Leonard and Sheldon AS GIANT ROBOTS!
- The Hoverbots are a reference to the Chinese cartoon series Hover Champs Spin&Go (italian opening), such as the name of the team, the fact that they turn into helicopters, and the fact that they all wear Cool Shades in robot mode, like the ones the characters from Hover Chaps wear when piloting RC helicopters.
- What Could Have Been: Transformers Linkmasters had various versions of the plot. One featured Optimus Prime and Megatron only for Season 1 and then killing them (having Blaster as the new Matrix bearer), Road Caesar as Menasor's Autobot counterpart and an arc about Decepticon pirate Dreadshaft seeking revenge after being rejected by Cannonball's crew and becoming a depressed loner whose motto is "trust is for the weaks".
- The characters of Weirdness is Everywhere were going to be evil versions of the Mane 6 created by Discord, but the idea was rejected because Golden Wonder couldn't look like an evil Pinkie Pie. Screamdown was rejected from the team because she looked too much like an evil Fluttershy, and the sixth member-evil Rarity was rejected. The original version of Gumball Pop, named Bubblegum Spit, was inspired from Diana's bad girl makeover from Martin Mystery's episode You Do Voodoo, but then the name was changed because it was too long, the colors made more vivid, the shades more see-through and the leather jacket discarded. The design alteration was done also because the old look made more sense for her old interpretation as an evil Applejack.
- Spotlight-Stealing Squad: Combusken in Cubone Adventures, absolutely. His Flanderization into a Donald Duck / Deadpool hybrid didn't help.