- Actor Allusion: Perhaps it was unintentional, but:
Walter: I'm not mean, Danny, I'm in fourth grade, I have a girlfriend.
- Hey, It's That Guy!:
- Tim Robbins has a cameo as Walter and Danny's father. Also, Dax Shepard as the Astronaut the adult Walter.
- And that girl from the movie about sparkly vampires is their sister.
- Danny is a shy guy.
- Is anybody else waiting for Danny to become part of a huge movie franchise based on a successful teen book series? Lisa and Walter both did.
- Hey, It's That Voice!:
- Retroactive Recognition:
- Playing Against Type: Watch Kristen Stewart as the decidedly emotional Lisa and then say her acting only consists of Dull Surprise.
- Screwed by the Network: Was putting the movie's marketing in charge of the contestants from The Apprentice a good idea? This makes the half-assed marketing campaigns of MT Carney (disgraced former head of marketing at Disney) look good by comparison.
- Also, what were they thinking putting this up against Harry Potter?
- Well, they had to bring it out some time.
- Dax Shephard (who plays the Astronaut) said once that when he signed on to the film, the script was meant to be more of a sci-fi action epic, with the two young brothers fighting and trying to get along being more of a subplot. But, then executives decided, the boys learning to get along should be the core of the film, and a lot of the space fight sequences got taken out.