* AFIS100Years100Passions: #76
* TheCastShowOff: Creator/MaureenOHara did her own singing.
** Creator/JohnWayne was 44 when this film was made, although his character Sean Thornton was supposed to be 35.
** Victor [=McClagen=] was 65 at the time. Many felt he should have played Creator/MaureenOHara's father (31) instead of her brother.
* DeletedScene: Several scenes were shot that never appeared in the movie: Mary speaking in Gaelic to greet Sean for the first time; a scene where Father Lonergan and Michaleen discuss betting on horses (deemed offensive because he is a priest); Wayne's first scene on the train, where he speaks to a mother and her child gives him an apple (in the existing opening scene, Wayne deboards the train holding the apple and thanks the unseen child).
* DirectedByCastmember: Creator/JohnWayne directed the horse racing sequence while Creator/JohnFord was ill.
* DoingItForTheArt: Creator/JohnFord had desperately wanted to make this film for years, but had trouble finding a studio to back it. He finally made a deal with Republic Pictures -- which specialized in Westerns -- to film a Western for them in exchange for their VERY reluctant backing on ''The Quiet Man''. The Western Ford made was ''Rio Grande''; ''The Quiet Man'' went on to become Republic's biggest-ever box office hit, and the studio's ONLY movie ever to earn a Best Picture UsefulNotes/AcademyAward nomination. And Ford won his fourth Best Director award for this.
* FakeIrish: Creator/JohnWayne and Ward Bond were Americans and Victor [=McLaglen=] was English.
* NoStuntDouble: Creator/JohnWayne really dragged Creator/MaureenOHara through the mud. She got bruised by the rough terrain.
* ProductionPosse: All over the place. Creator/JohnFord worked with a regular set of actors in nearly every movie he made. Barry Fitzgerald, Ward Bond, and Victor [=McLaglen=] are the more notable names.
** Town elder Dan Tobin -- the grizzled, bearded fellow who jumps up from his deathbed once he hears the epic donnybrook -- was played by John Ford's brother Francis Ford. The story has it they had not spoken to each other in years, but John asked Francis to star in this film and they were very amicable toward each other during production. Francis died a year later.
** Creator/MaureenOHara's younger brothers Charles and James Fitzsimons play Hugh Forbes and Father Paul, respectively.
** Barry Fitzgerald's brother, Arthur Shields, plays the Rev. Mr. Playfair.
** All four of Creator/JohnWayne's children are sitting on the cart with Creator/MaureenOHara during the horse race scene.
* TheRedStapler: The town of Cong in County Mayo where the movie was filmed is now a major Irish tourist attraction because of the movie. The local pub hosts daily re-runs of the film.
* ThrowItIn: At the end of the film, Mary Kate whispers something into Creator/JohnWayne's ear. It was an unscripted bit of dialogue that Creator/JohnFord insisted O'Hara say to Wayne in order to [[EnforcedMethodActing get an unexpected reaction]] on Wayne's part. The three were the only ones who know what was whispered -- and with O'Hara passing away in 2015, nobody knows for certain what it was.