* TheCastShowoff: Gabrielle's final scene in her first run has her speaking fluent French. Actress Virginie Le Brun is the daughter of NZ-based French vintner Daniel le Brun.
** In 2010, a play starring several characters is directed by receptionist Yvonne Jeffries. Actress Alison Quigan is a theater writer and director with over 20 years experience, including holding a Queen's Service Medal for her services to theater.
* DawsonCasting: Averted with Karl Burnett who was 16 playing 16 year old Nick Harrison when the show started. Played straight with most other teenagers during the shows run, like Rachel Mckenna being 15 played by the then 21 year old Angela Bloomfield. Lee Donaghue was 23 when he was cast as 17 year old Hunter Mckay and looked it. Same with his 15 year old sister Sophie, played by the then 19 year old Kim Crossman. The worst offender may have been Ido Drent, then 22 (while looking older) playing the 16 year old Daniel Potts. Ido looked like what he was- a grown man in a school uniform.
* LifeImitatesArt: There have been a lot of coincidences between Shortland Street storylines and real life, that it has become known as the "Shortland Street Curse".
** In 2003, Shortland Street Hospital had its back-up generator fail during a power outage - less than two weeks later, the same thing happened at Auckland's Starship Children's Hospital.
** The feature length 20th anniversary show featured a helicopter crash, and by coincidence, the day the episode aired, there was a fatal helicopter crash in Canterbury. The show went to air with a last-minute ContentWarning since they couldn't pull the episode without breaking continuity.
* TheOtherDarrin: Justine Jones was recast with Lucy Wigmore in the role, who replaced Laurie Foell who had played Justine for the character's first two years on the soap.
** Chris Warner's son Harry Warner has been played by four different actors since his birth: Joshua Thompson (2002), Callum Campbell Ross (2002-2006), Henry Williams (2006-2009), and Reid Walker (2009 onwards) In addition to this, his mother was originally played by Glynis McNicholl in the 90's. For her death in 2003, she was replaced by Dinah Priestly, who had previously played Ian Seymour's mother.
*** Daniel Potts was played for his first 3 years by Jarred Blakiston. When the character returned as a full member of the cast in 2009, he was turned into a "heartthrob" and so was recast with Ido Drent in the role instead.
* UnderAgeCasting: Some doctors and nurses are played by actors who are too young to hold such a job in real life. The minimum age in New Zealand (ignoring any child prodigies) is 20-21 for a nurse, and 23-24 for a junior doctor.
** Online records list Li Ming Hu as being born in 1987 which would mean she was playing Dr Li Mei Chen at the tender age of 16!
** Surgeon Victoria Anderton first appeared in early 2015, played by 22-year-old Laura Thompson.
** Nurse Lucy Rickman first appeared in mid-2014, played by 19-year-old Grace Palmer.