Theatre: Private Lives
Private Lives is a 1930 comedy of manners by NoŽl Coward. It focuses on a divorced couple who discover that they are honeymooning with their new spouses in the same hotel. Despite a perpetually stormy relationship, they realise that they still have feelings for each other.
Tropes featured include
- Belligerent Sexual Tension: Amanda and Elyot's relationship, and late Sybil and Victor's.
- Betty and Veronica: Sybil and Amanda, respectively, to Elyot. Also, Victor and Elyot to Amanda.
- Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them
- Dating Do-Si-Do: The point of the play
- Genteel Interbellum Setting: Like most of Coward's plays
- The Missus and the Ex