Tear Jerker: Within Temptation
Oh, dear Lord! This Dutch hard rock band is good at triggering the tears.
- "Memories" is probably the best known.
Made me promise I'd try to find my way back in this lifeI hope there is a way to give me a sign you're okayRemind me again it's worth it allSo I can go home.
- "Say My Name" is about a relative with Alzheimer's. The lyrics combined with Sharon's vocals really does it...
Please, say my nameRemember who I amYou will find me in the world of yesterdayYou drift away again, too far from where I amWhen you ask me who I am.
- More significant ones are "All I Need" and "Our Farewell" (My child, see the sadness in your eyes...)
- "Somewhere", about searching for a lost loved one and not knowing where they are or even if they're still okay or alive.
"Wherever you are, I won't stop searching, Whatever it takes, Need to know..."
- "Forgiven" is even worse. The person being addressed in the song committed suicide.
I've been so lost since you've goneWhy not me before you? Why did fate deceive me?Everything turned out so wrongWhy did you leave me in silence?
Couldn't save you from the startLove you so, it hurts my soul.
- And the singer is regretting that they couldn't do anything to save them:
- "Swan Song" and "Pale." The song sounds happiest when she is about to give in to death...
- "Frozen" (especially in the music video) and "Bittersweet" also qualify.
- "What Have You Done," to a degree.
- More recently, "Lost," "Stairway to the Skies," "Edge of the World," and "Whole World is Watching."