* For some, Mirai's disinterest in life and uncertainty about her future at the beginning of the show is a relatable feeling.
* At the end of episode one when the earthquake strikes. Mirai clings to a railing and is helpless to do anything but call out Yuuki's name, because he could be ''dead'' and she could never know because [[MyGodWhatHaveIDone she let him go alone]].
* At the beginning of episode two, Mirai begs for help and asks the people leaving the shopping mall if they've seen her brother. They all walk past her, having their own problems to deal with.
** Mirai recklessly jumping down a wrecked staircase with no regard for her own safety when Mari suggests that they look through the stores downstairs.
* At some point, [[OneSceneWonder a dog]] is seen in the background carrying a ''disembodied hand'' in its mouth.
* Mirai snapping at Yuuki and throwing her phone, causing Yuuki to run off.
** The two crying out loud together in a parking lot when Mirai apologizes to him. Doubles as Heartwarming and Funny in a cute way, since it attracts the attention of the old folks that live nearby.
** [[spoiler:Yuuki [[TakingTheBullet pushing Mirai out of the way of falling debris]] when Tokyo Tower falls. [[PleaseWakeUp Mirai is horrified when he doesn't immediately get up.]]]]
* In episode five, we see that one of Mirai's classmates has lost her mother in the earthquake. She only appeared for a brief scene and Mirai herself said they weren't even friends however it's still tragic, especially since it was so close to home for Mirai and it serve as a MoodWhiplash after one of the few times we see her genuinely happy.
** In the same episode we learn about the couple whose grandkids died during the quake.
*** The grandmother is denial and believes that Mirai & Yuuki are her grandchildren, so she keeps trying to approach them. Her husband has to gently urge her to go back to their camp.
*** The grandfather, who we saw earlier helping other people, explains to the trio [[MyGreatestFailure not only what happened to his grandkids]], but also that [[ItsAllMyFault he and his wife had urged their grandkids' parents to have them visit for the summer in the first place]]. The grandfather then says that [[SurvivorGuilt he wishes]] [[TakeMeInstead he died instead]]. ''That'' was what finally broke Mirai into tears after this entire episode.
* At the end of the BreatherEpisode, when [[spoiler:Yuuki faints]]. [[PleaseWakeUp Mirai's reaction]] and Mari running to get medical help really seal the deal.
* In episode nine when [[spoiler:Mari believes that her daughter and mother are dead]]. The reunion is heartwarming and sobworthy.
* The end of the tenth episode, (''Listen, Sis'') when [[spoiler:it is revealed to Mirai that Yuuki has been dead for the last two episodes]].
** The flashbacks are silent, but no words are necessary when you see [[spoiler:Mari desperately talking to a doctor and [[MyGreatestFailure breaking down on her knees]] as we are provided a WhamShot of Yuuki's body getting [[CharacterDeath black-tagged]].]]
* The final episode, (''Dear Yuki'') this for both the audience and the characters, particularly when [[spoiler:Mirai is finally reunited with her mother and they both embrace each other and sob, both of them in relief for at last seeing each other again and Mirai also in heartbreak as she finally comes out of denial about her little brother's death.]]
** [[spoiler:The vase of flowers on Yuki's desk, having seen his classroom in the previous episode.]]
** The credits are both this and [[CrowningMomentOfHeartwarming Heartwarming]]. We see minor characters in their lives after the earthquake, including the couple that lost their grandkids in the earthquake sitting together and watching the ocean.