- "Lucy" may be the ultimate tearjerker by this band. If you can listen to it without crying, have this cookie.note
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I'd give up all the world to see
That little piece of Heaven looking back at meNow that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I've gotta live with the choices I've made
And I can't live with myself today
- Earned that cookie? Then try this fan-made music video. The story is different, but the emotional impact is just as powerful.
- The song "Say Goodbye". Whether you look at it as a breakup song, or as a song for a dying friend, you will be tempted to cry.
- "Don't Wake Me" is, in reality, just another breakup song - but it can still make some people tear up while hearing it.. Here's the first verse:
I went to bed I was thinking about you
Aint the same since I'm living without you
All the memories are getting colder
All the things that I wanna do overWent to bed I was thinking about you
Wanna talk and laugh like we used to
When I see you in my dreams at night
It's so real, but it's in my mindAnd now...
This is as good as it gets
- "Yours to Hold". At first, you're thinking "Oh, it's just another 'I love her/him, but he/she doesn't know I exist' song, yadda yadda yadda."...and then you listen a little longer...and the full meaning kicks in.
- "Whispers in the Dark", which also counts as their Crowning Music of Awesome. Their whole "Comatose" album is moving, but this song is especially beautiful. "No/you'll never be alone/when darkness comes I'll light the night with stars..."
- The lead in to 'Sick of it' at the very end of 'Rise'. Doubles as Nightmare Fuel.
- It starts with a crying woman trying to protect her children from an intruder and ends with a man screaming: "You are such a failure! What is wrong with you? You're worthless! You can't do anything right!” And then all backing is removed so we’re left completely alone with the man as he finishes with “I wish you had never been born!”
- Open Wounds, which is about John's terrible relationship with his father, hits VERY close to home for those who can relate, specifically the chorus:
How could you, how could you, how could you hate me?
When all I ever wanted to be was you?
How could you, how could you, how could you love me?
When all you ever gave me were open wounds?
- Watching for Comets is another competitor for "ultimate tear-jerker". It sings of a love long lost, with the lyrics being some of Skillet's most powerful.
Now that I see you, I'm frozen in time
All of your colors burst into life
I don't dare close my eyes
Cause a love like this happens once in a lifetime
Tear Jerker / Skillet
This Christian post-grunge band can really do some incredibly emotional songs.