- "Lucy" may be the ultimate tearjerker by this band. If you can listen to it without crying, have this cookie.note
Now that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I'd give up all the world to see
That little piece of Heaven looking back at meNow that it's over
I just wanna hold her
I've gotta live with the choices I've made
And I can't live with myself today
- Earned that cookie? Then try this fan-made music video. The story is different, but the emotional impact is just as powerful.
- The song "Say Goodbye". Whether you look at it as a breakup song, or as a song for a dying friend, you will be tempted to cry.
- "Don't Wake Me" is, in reality, just another breakup song - but it can still make some people tear up while hearing it.. Here's the first verse:
I went to bed I was thinking about you
Aint the same since I'm living without you
All the memories are getting colder
All the things that I wanna do overWent to bed I was thinking about you
Wanna talk and laugh like we used to
When I see you in my dreams at night
It's so real, but it's in my mindAnd now...
This is as good as it gets
- "Yours to Hold". At first, you're thinking "Oh, it's just another 'I love her/him, but he/she doesn't know I exist' song, yadda yadda yadda."...and then you listen a little longer...and the full meaning kicks in.
- "Whispers in the Dark", which also counts as their Crowning Music of Awesome. Their whole "Comatose" album is moving, but this song is especially beautiful. "No/you'll never be alone/when darkness comes I'll light the night with stars..."
- The lead in to 'Sick of it' at the very end of 'Rise'. Doubles as Nightmare Fuel.
- It starts with a crying woman trying to protect her children from an intruder and ends with a man screaming: "You're useless, you can't do anything right! I wish you'd never been born!"
- Open Wounds, which is about John's terrible relationship with his father, hits VERY close to home for those who can relate, specifically the chorus:
How could you, how could you, how could you hate me?
When all I ever wanted to be was you?
How could you, how could you, how could you love me?
When all you ever gave me were open wounds?
- Watching for Comets is another competitor for "ultimate tear-jerker". It sings of a love long lost, with the lyrics being some of Skillet's most powerful.
Now that I see you, I'm frozen in time
All of your colors burst into life
I don't dare close my eyes
Cause a love like this happens once in a lifetime
Tear Jerker / Skillet
This Christian post-grunge band can really do some incredibly emotional songs.