- Bright's realization of how bad off Colin is after he awakens from his coma
"I don't like it any more than you do, but he's not the guy we grew up with. If he was, I wouldn't still miss him."
- The montage of Colin's preparation for his final surgery is sad enough, but add this song playing over the scenes, and, well...
- Even worse, Colin outright makes Andy promise to let him die if something goes wrong during the surgery or he comes out of it wrong. Whether this makes the season 2 premiere more or less heartbreaking is up to the viewer.
- The season 2 premiere, which brutally yanks the rug when halfway through it's revealed that Colin didn't survive the surgery that closed season 1.
- Reid attempting suicide in season 4.
- The death of Irv Harper in season 4, Edna's refusal to deal with her grief and ultimately breaking down in tears when she's alone after his funeral.