Despite being a series of comedic movies parodying ''Film/JamesBond'', [[Film/AustinPowers these movies]] would still have [[TearJerker sad moments]].
* While it was played for laughs seconds afterward, Vanessa turning out to be one of Dr. Evilís kamikaze fembots who attempts to kill Austin only to self-destruct can be rather disorienting for the first time viewer.
** Austin's behavior afterwards probably didn't help the people who were big fans of her in the first film.
* The scene from ''International Man of Mystery'' where it sinks in for Austin that almost all of his old friends are long dead.
** It starts with one line from Vanessa Kenzington: "Welcome to the nineties. You're going to be very lonely."
** He flashes the peace sign at some tourists and only gets mocking laughter in return; this is the moment where it really dawns on him just what an obsolete relic he is, and for someone as invested in his image as Austin, it is a shattering realization.
** You can see the expression on his face as he's watching videos of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the first landing on the moon. He's overwhelmed by how much he's missed by being frozen for thirty years.
** The scene before that shows that [[HeReallyCanAct Myers can act]] even in a comedy when he talks about Vanessa's mother.
--> '''Austin:''' She was really groovy, your dad loved her very much, if there was any other cat that could love her as much as your dad, it was me. Unfortunately, for yours truly that ship has sailed.
* "Dad? Dad? Daddy?"
* Fat Bastard's emotional breakdown from the end of ''The Spy Who Shagged Me'' is surprisingly this.
--> "Of course I'm not happy! Look at me! I'm a big fat slob! I've got bigger titties than you [Felicity Shagwell] do! I've got more chins than a Chinese phone book! I've not seen my willie in two years, which is long enough to declare it legally dead! I can't stop eating! I eat because I'm unhappy... and I'm unhappy because I eat. It's a vicious cycle. If you'll excuse me... There's someone I need to get in touch with and forgive. Myself."
** He has a second one in ''Goldmember''.
--> "Well, to be honest with you, I've been trying to go legit. I really take my sumo wrestling seriously, you know. But when you're an overweight child in a society that demands perfection, your sense of right and wrong, of fair and unfair, will always be tragically skewed."
* While funny, it's at at the same sad when Austin at first assumes that his father wasn't at his knighting ceremony because he was kidnapped, and then is informed he was kidnapped after Austin was knighted.
** Following up, the [[LyricalDissonance lyrically-dissonant]] song [[http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zN6MxLYB8hM "Daddy Wasn't There"]].
* When Scott Evil started to show more signs that he was evil, he started to replace Mini-Me. Dr. Evil then sadly sends Mini-Me off. However, it later became a CrowningMomentOfFunny when he [[FlippingTheBird flipped off Dr. Evil]] when he was leaving.
* [[spoiler: When Felicity dies in the second film. "I love you Felicity."]]
* The reactions all of the henchmen's family and friends have whenever Austin kills one. They weren't truly villainous, just decent men who happened to be working for the villains.
* Austin rejecting Felicity's advances. It was just sex, but they way he backs out of it really hammers home how broken he feels. Basil later points out how Austin and Felicity are "not meant to be" and we then see Austin talking to his frozen self, clearly depressed at how much he's lost.
--> "Look at yourself. You used to be so virile. You were a swinger, man. And now you're nothing."
* The death of Verne Troyer, aka Mini-Me, at the age of 49 [[https://www.cnn.com/2018/04/21/entertainment/verne-troyer-obit/index.html]].