There are obvious references to the classic George Romero films as well as other films.
- Marky mockingly zombiewalks while saying "They're coming to get you Barbara!"
- Joplin attempts to crib the "No more room in hell" speech but gets brushed off.
- Patrick's death pays homage to Captain Rhodes. There's also him running off and locking out his co-workers, much like Rhodes at the climax of Day of the Dead.
- Grayson's name may be a shout out to Grayson Perry, famous artist and crossdresser.
- There is also a shout out to the film version of Misery, although resident ditz Veronica gets the title wrong.
- Also, beating the zombie's face in ("Get it in the head") is a shout out to Irreversible.