"Well, here we go."
—Tim Lincecum, "Season One, Preview Episode"
The Franchise is a Reality Show
currently airing on Showtime as of August 2011. Its first season followed the 2011 season of the San Francisco Giants
, after their 2010 season, which culminated in them winning the World Series. The second season follows the 2012 season of the Miami Marlins, who recently moved to a new stadium, bought an influx of new talent, and have renamed their team from the Florida Marlins. The series currently has a 'preview episode' and eight standard episodes, and each episode focuses on one or two players on the squad, going deeper into their life stories and current problems.
The Franchise: A Season with the San Francisco Giants provides examples of:
- Badass Beard: Brian Wilson.
- Big Game: Pretty much Once an Episode.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: A couple of times, the most notable so far being the Giants losing to the Pittsburgh Pirates 9-2.
- A Day in the Limelight: One of the selling points of the show - no one is too big or too small to be featured.
- Did I Just Say That Out Loud?: Tim Lincecum becomes aware of a camera watching him as he offhandedly sings a bar of 'Last Friday Night' in the clubhouse. He quickly stops.
- Down to the Last Play: Played straight and subverted on numerous occasions.
- High School Sweethearts: Buster Posey and his wife.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Between the 25-odd members of the team, the minor leaguers who bounce back and forth between the Giants and Triple-A, and everyone's families, there are a ton of people to keep track of.
- Manly Tears: Brandon Belt, during his meeting with manager Bruce Bochy, where he is informed he's made the starting lineup for Opening Day.
- Mr. Fanservice: You'll probably find someone on the team attractive.
- Opposing Sports Team: Duh.
- Ragtag Bunch of Misfits: The 2010 Giants team is referred to as such a few times, being cobbled together from castoffs from other teams, a few new kids, and a couple of eccentrics.
- Reality Show
- Real Men Wear Pink: Brian Wilson.
- Save Our Team: Worked pretty well for the Giants in 2010, but, as the show documents, isn't working as well for them in 2011.
- Serious Business: Dominoes, apparently.
- Shirtless Scene: Since about 50% of the show takes place in a locker room...
- This Is for Emphasis, Bitch!: "Dominoes, bitches."
- Those Two Guys: Aubrey Huff and Mark De Rosa inadvertently become this when sitting the bench during a game. Tim Lincecum and Brian Wilson could also count.
- Underdogs Never Lose: Played very straight during the 2010 Postseason.
- Unfortunate Names: Poor Madison Bumgarner. Lincecum isn't the greatest last name in the world, either.
The Franchise: A Season with the Miami Marlins provides examples of: