Series: Love Of Life
Long-running Soap Opera, which ran on CBS from 1951 to 1980.Love of Life focused on heroine Vanessa Dale and (in the words of the announcer in the early years), "her courageous struggle for human dignity". Many storylines throughout the years contrasted the heroine Vanessa with her bad-girl sister Meg.
This show provides examples of:
- Cliff Hanger: The show ended its run on an unresolved cliffhanger, during the murder trial of Ben Harper; after testifying at the trial, Betsy Crawford collapsed...and the show faded to black.
- Dramatic Half-Hour: Expanded from 15 minutes in 1958. Averted for much of its run, though; due to the show's mid-day timeslot, the show ran for 25 minutes for a good deal of its run to allow for a 5 minute newscast.
- Foolish Sibling, Responsible Sibling: Meg was obviously the foolish one while Van was quite clearly the responsible one, in fact up to the point that Van was a Parental Substitute for Meg's son, Ben.
- Long Runner: Ran for 29 years on CBS, from 1951 to 1980.
- Soap Opera: Literally; in its early days, the show was produced and packaged by American Home Products.