- The Character Died with Him: Bert was written out of the series at the end of season 4 because his actor, Sacco van der Made, died.
- The Drifter: Bert
- Grumpy Old Man: Piet Bovenkerk.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: Arnootje, the young son of Erik and Catharina. Only one exception is made in the final episode of season 7.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Piet and Catherina are this to each other.
- Put on a Bus: Happened to several characters, most notably Kees and Hella. Kees went to Australia at the end of season 3 to help his son start a new life there. He was supposed to come back after one month, but never returned. Hella suddenly disappeared after season 6, according to Conny because she fell in love with the owner of a coffee plantation during her holiday.
- Real-Life Relative: father Piet Bovenkerk and son Eric Bovenkerk are played by real-life father and son John Kraaykamp and John Kraaykamp jr.
- Foreign Remake: the series is a remake of the British series Tom, Dick and Harriet.
- The Unpronounceable: Piet always has trouble pronouncing Hella’s name. However, this is more a result of the fact that he doesn’t like her, than the fact that her name really is difficult to pronounce.