When ships along the Mississippi are attacked by a gang of pirates known as the "Thousand Eyes," West and Gordon are sent to investigate. The trail leads to the leader of the gang: Captain Ansel Coffin, a blind man seeking revenge. His gang uses false lights to lead ships astray, crash them, and then plunder them.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Accidental Murder: Tragically played out by the villain and his wife.
- Bathtub Scene: We're introduced to a villainess while she's taking a bath. In the men's washroom.
- Best Served Cold: When Glory Poavey, whose father was murdered by the gang, comes to Artie with information, he offers her money in exchange. She turns it down; she only wants to see Coffin dead.
- The Casino: The first place the investigation leads due to a roulette chip found in a murdered agent's pocket.
- Dramatic Thunder: Starts off the episode and continues throughout.
- Holding the Floor: When two mooks come to kill Artie, he puts them off their guard with an elaborate speech about personal cleanliness, soap and family traditions, all while preparing a hot bath. Then he handily incapacitates them.
- Karma Houdini: Jennifer Wingate. Apparently, attempted murder and conspiring with a ruthless gang of cutthroats is perfectly okay as long as you're a good kisser.
- Woman Scorned: Artie's first assumption about why Glory wants revenge on Coffin.