Recap: The Wild Wild West S 1 E 26 The Night Of The Burning Diamond
Various valuable diamonds around the world have been mysteriously disappearing, so West and Gordon are charged with ensuring that an upcoming international jewel exhibition goes off smoothly. Upon investigating some mysterious doings at the house of one of the exhibitors, they come across Morgan Midas, who has invented a way to make himself move so quickly that he becomes invisible.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Bucket Booby-Trap: The first goon who barges into the kitchen to find the source of all the noise gets a pot full of beef stroganoff dropped on his head for his trouble.
- Frying Pan of Doom: Artie uses one as a weapon, a shield and a handy way to shove heavy objects off high shelves onto goons' heads.
- Hoist by His Own Petard: Artie constructs a series of elaborate traps and alarms to ensnare anyone who attempts to steal the jewels at the exhibition. Unfortunately, the only ones who end up ensnared by them are Jim and Artie.
- Karmic Death: While trying to kill Jim, Midas, in an accelerated state, spills alcohol all over himself. The heat from air friction ignites it and he burns to death.
- Super Speed: Midas has invented a formula which gives this to those who ingest it.
- Time Stands Still: Everyone and everything except those under the effect of Midas' formula appear to those affected to be frozen in place.