[[caption-width-right:320:[[SignatureScene He's not going to make it, you realize.]]]]
Episode - 7F06\\
First Aired - 12/6/1990
The Simpsons family end up attending a monster truck rally one night, which features a performance by renowned daredevil Lance Murdock. Despite Murdock's stunt going hideously wrong, landing him in hospital, Bart declares the man his new hero, and aspires to be a daredevil himself. Bart isn't put off when he's injured during his first attempt, even when he's introduced to a ward of children who have been left badly hurt by attempting daredevil stunts of their own, if anything else it pushes him to succeed.
Bart keeps his stunts fairly tame to start with, using his skateboard to jump over cars, animals and swimming pools, but soon sets his sights on jumping the Springfield Gorge. Lisa is horrified and takes Bart to meet Murdock in hospital, hoping that the man will get Bart to change his mind. Unfortunately Murdock only encourages Bart, and so Lisa has no choice but to give in and tell their parents. However Bart stubbornly ignores anything that Homer has to say, and still heads out to the gorge to complete the stunt.
Homer follows Bart, and determined to show Bart how it feels to watch a family member do something incredibly stupid and dangerous, attempts to perform the stunt himself.
!!This episode contains examples of:
* AmusingInjuries: Downplayed. Homer's pain and injuries from falling down the gorge seem more serious than the way it would be treated on common contemporary cartoons or a WesternAnimation/LooneyTunes classic like Wile. E. Coyote. But on the other hand, it's far from realistic or graphic, and most important of all, it doesn't go with an extreme level of painfulness, but rather, something [[RuleOfFunny exactly as painful as it can get while still being very funny]]. It definitely falls in the middle ground between realism vs. a pure slapstick.
* CharacterizationMarchesOn: Dr. Hibbert, in his first appearance, is a stern and competent doctor, a far cry from the Cosby-esque scatterbrain he'd become.
* CombatPragmatist: During the wrestling match, Professor Werner von Brawn beans Rasputin on the head with a wrench he smuggled under his belt while the Russian's back is turned, knocking him out. The referee inexplicably permits this and declares him the winner, much to the outrage of the announcer and the audience.
* DoNotDoThisCoolThing: In-universe. Bart still wants to jump the Springfield Gorge despite being confronted with the painful sight of many daredevils in the hospital.
* HeelFaceTurn: Rasputin the Friendly Russian (nee the Mad Russian), thanks to the [[UsefulNotes/ColdWar inevitable forces of history]].
* HopeSpot: During the (accidental) jump across the gorge, Homer believes he is going to get across, but then his forward momentum stops near the middle and he falls down.
-->'''Homer:''' I'm gonna make it. I'M GONNA MAKE IT! THIS IS THE GREATEST THRILL OF MY LIFE! I'M KING OF THE WORLD! WOO-HOO! WOO-HOO! I- ''[yelling]'' WHAAAAH!
* KarmaHoudini: Professor von Brawn and the clearly biased referee face no consequences for, respectively, using a wrench in a wrestling match and permitting said action.
* LikeFatherLikeSon: Though not watching the wrestling match together, Homer and Bart's actions and commentary mirror each other.
* NoCelebritiesWereHarmed: Lance Murdock = UsefulNotes/EvelKnievel, right down to the [[ShownTheirWork world record for most broken bones.]]
* PetTheDog: During the symphony, Homer is so focused on getting to the monster truck rally that he ignores pretty much everything. Once the family is finally on their way to it, though, Homer hums the tune Lisa was playing as he drives along.
-->'''Lisa''': I reached him.
* RealityEnsues: Homer ends up accidentally skateboarding across the gorge, but misses the other side and falls down. He ends up in traction at the hospital.
* WhatTheHellHero: In a failed attempt to discourage Bart from trying to jump the Springfield Gorge, Lisa took him to the hospital room where daredevil Lance Murdock was in after one of his stunts. Murdock actually ''encouraged'' Bart to try.