Homer starts a new security company and gets in trouble with Fat Tony.
* AsLongAsThereIsOneMan: Parodied with a speech from Homer that ends with him admitting that the mafia only has to kill him and two other people at which point they'll have control of the town.
* BaitAndSwitchGunshot: Just as Fat Tony and his gang are about to shoot Homer, they are wounded by an unseen shooter. When Chief Wiggum appears to take back his job, everyone assumes it was him, but he confesses that they took away his gun when he was fired. [[spoiler:Camera then tilts up to the upstairs window, where Maggie is holding a rifle.]]
* ContinuityCavalcade: Along with the long list below, [[Recap/TheSimpsonsWhoShotMrBurns the time Maggie shot Mr. Burns]] is brought up.
* ImStandingRightHere: Homer mockingly comments that Chief Wiggum "couldn't catch cooties at Milhouse's birthday party." The camera then pans out to show Milhouse sitting on the couch with the Simpsons.
* TheLastStraw: With the power plant running at full capacity, all it took to cause a blackout was for Homer to plug in a dancing Santa.
* LongList: Homer lists all the jobs he's had [[ContinuityCavalcade on the show up to that point]] in enough time for Marge to change for bed.
-->'''Homer:''' You know, I've had a lot of jobs. [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E3TheHomerTheyFall Boxer]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS2E5DancinHomer mascot]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS5E15DeepSpaceHomer astronaut]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS6E15HomieTheClown imitation Krusty]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS12E16ByeByeNerdie baby proofer]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E17MaximumHomerdrive trucker]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E6DohInTheWind hippie]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS4E9MrPlow plow driver]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS11E3GuessWhosComingToCriticizeDinner food critic]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E19MomAndPopArt conceptual artist]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E1LardOfTheDance grease salesman]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS9E12BartCarny carnie]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS12E2ATaleOfTwoSpringfields mayor]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS12E7TheGreatMoneyCaper grifter]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E9MayoredToTheMob bodyguard for the mayor]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS3E20ColonelHomer country-western manager]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS9E22TrashOfTheTitans garbage commissioner]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS9E23KingOfTheHill mountain climber]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS11E5EIEIAnnoyedGrunt farmer]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E2TheWizardOfEvergreenTerrace inventor]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS7E17HomerTheSmithers Smithers]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E14TheItchyAndScratchyAndPoochieShow Poochie]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS10E5WhenYouDishUponAStar celebrity assistant]], power plant worker, [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS13E4AHunkaHunkaBurnsInLove fortune cookie writer]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E18HomerVsTheEighteenthAmendment beer baron]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS3E8LisasPony Kwik-E-Mart clerk]], [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS8E15HomersPhobia homophobe]] and [[Recap/TheSimpsonsS11E15MissionaryImpossible missionary]]. But protecting Springfield, that gives me the best feeling of all.
* OddlySmallOrganization: [=SpringShield=] only consists of Homer, Lenny, and Carl, but they're very effective at stopping Springfield's crime wave.
-->'''Homer:''' You can kill me, but someone will take my place. And if you kill him, someone will take his place. And... that's pretty much the end of it. The town will be yours.
* ShoutOut: Among Springfield Elementary School students, we have [[Franchise/ArchieComics Jughead Jones]], [[WesternAnimation/FatAlbertAndTheCosbyKids Fat Albert]] and [[Series/HappyDays Fonzie]].
** Fat Tony's drive to the Simpsons house parodies the opening sequence of ''Series/TheSopranos''.
* TurnInYourBadge: When Chief Wiggum lost his job, he had to turn in his badge and his gun, and only avoiding turning in his car because he hid it.