- Characterization Marches On: George complains about having left his books at his ex-girlfriend's house (which he claims to have read). It's established later in the series that George simply does not like to read anything.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: On the other hand, George's books are briefly seen on-camera, and they're all self-help books. Which probably are the only reading material George would have on hand.
- Minor Flaw Major Break Up
- George dumps Marlene because he can't stand talking on the phone with her.
- Marlene dumps Jerry because she saw his act and didn't think it was funny.
- Running Gag: Nobody likes the taste of Jerry's cantaloupe. Kramer's, meanwhile, nobody wants to taste.
- Self-Deprecation: Marlene's criticism of Jerry's act is a pretty on-the-nose rephrasing of "a show about nothing":"It's just so much fluff."