Stimpy sees an advertisement for a poetry writing competition on the television and wants to participate as an opportunity to get to see his favorite TV star, Muddy Mudskipper. Soon, after winning the competition, he goes off to Hollywood, leaving an angry, jealous Ren shattered about his best friend moving away.
This episode contains examples of:
- Ascended Fanboy: Stimpy.
- Bowdlerization: Act one of "Stimpy's Big Day" ends with a microphone shoved up Stimpy's nose. Originally, the microphone was supposed to be shoved in Stimpy's mouth, but Nickelodeon thought it was too much like fellatio and asked John K to change it.
- Celebrity Is Overrated: Despite having all the fame and money he could ever want, Stimpy still misses Ren, so he gives it all up to return to him. Ren is happy to see him again... until Stimpy says that he gave all the money away.
- Shout-Out: The Muddy Mudskipper cartoon Stimpy appears in is a spoof of Yogi Bear, with Stimpy as the "moth-eaten old bear" Muddy chases. When Stimpy flubs his lines, he uses the Catch Phrases of other cartoon characters. "Well, blow me down! I'm hunting for a wabbit. I hate meeces to pieces!"
- Side-by-Side Demonstration: Stimpy appears on one such commercial for Gritty Kitty kitty litter, where he has Mr. Horse test Gritty Kitty against the leading brand.
- Suddenly Shouting: "I'll watch some TV. It'll help me to RELAX!"
- This Is Reality: Ren tells Stimpy that cartoons aren't real. "They're... puppets."
- Your Television Hates You: Ren tries to get Stimpy off his mind by watching TV, but Stimpy appears on every channel.