Tropes present in this episode include
- Action Survivor: Andrea acquits herself reasonably well with the telescoping baton Reese gave her and creatively uses the drawers in the room she's in to stall the man who tries to kill her.
- Brilliant but Lazy: Will Ingram shows some slight signs of this.
- Clear Their Name: Andrea is determined to prove that Terrence King is actually innocent.
- Continuity Nod: Reese is still feeling the effects of the gunshot wound he received in "Number Crunch."
- Crusading Lawyer: Andrea, of course.
- Exact Words: Reese utilises this to justify his repeated law breaking activities when he and Carter get to work together officially for the first time. "She" can't do things like frame Ass Hole Victim parole officers for drunk driving or break into their houses but there was nothing said about Reese not being able to.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: Chris was the brains behind the DFS scam.
- He's Back: Reese returns to the field for the first time following the events in "Number Crunch," and proceeds to annoy Carter by leaving a trail of mayhem in his wake. But he's having so much fun that we don't blame him.
- Look Both Ways: Alonso Garcia failed to do this.
- Sharp-Dressed Man: In case we hadn't noticed that Finch wears nice suits, Reese lampshades it for us."You look worried Finch. Did your tailor move out of the city?"
- Stock Episode Titles: At least 103 more episodes have this title.
- That Was Objectionable: The prosecutor thinks Andrea's case is baseless and a waste of time. She thinks he's wearing an ugly tie.
- Throw the Book at Them: Reese beats down a mook using a criminal law textbook. The look on his face when he realizes what book he just used states he finds it quite ironic.
- Unicorn / Animal Motifs: Andrea was visibly disappointed when Reese told her he was an ex-con, explaining that she'd hoped he was the "Unicorn" she'd been looking for.
- Ironically, this episode aired only a few days after someone posted a picture on Tumblr and observed that Reese was majestic, like a unicorn. Unfortunately, these occurred too close together to be a Fandom Nod, but it's still a hilarious coincidence and Reese being a unicorn has since evolved into a popular fan joke.