Recap: Law And Order S 1 E 6 Everybodys Favorite Bagman
After local councilman and former bagman Charles Halsey is mugged and his throat slashed, Logan and Greevey investigate the case and the two young black male suspects initially caught. Their suspicion turns to organized crime when they link the victim to Masucci soldier Tony Scalisi. As Stone and Robinette continue their investigation, they uncover a corruption scandal involving a dirty councilman; the collection of parking meter violation fines has been awarded to a firm connected to organized crime. To avoid the appearance of impropriety, District Attorney Wentworth won't allow Stone to offer Scalisi immunity. However, in order to win their case, their only option might be to make a deal with the mobster. Stone discovers that case involves not only organized crime, but also elected city officials and a deputy police commissioner whom he accuses of changing his testimony and doctoring evidence in a past case. Stone is unable to use the police because of suspected corruption within the department, so he consults Assistant U.S. Attorney John McCormack.
- Broken Pedestal: Robinette towards Dep. Commissioner Jefferson.
- Characterization Marches On: Greevey and Logan have a habit making bets about the results of different aspects of the investigation, something never continued in any later episodes.
- Hey, It's That Guy!: William H Macy has a small role as U.S. Attorney McCormack.
- And that Tony Scalisi is played by Paul Guilfoyle.
- Oh Crap!: Stone's reaction to a known mob hitman not heading towards his normal restaurant seat, but toward his wired witness.
- Pilot Episode: Despite actually being broadcast as the sixth episode in the season, this is the original pilot episode, filmed a couple of years earlier for CBS. As such, it is stylistically quite different and Greevey is noticeably younger than in the rest of the season, and instead of Adam Schiff the DA is some guy named Alfred Wentworth.
- Ripped from the Headlines: Based on a case involving the New York parking bureau.