[[caption-width-right:350:[[Music/TheLonelyIsland They're on a boat.]][[note]]No, a ''dinghy''.[[/note]]]]
-> ''Why can't we go anywhere pleasant? Where there's no fighting, just peace and happiness?''
-->-- '''Victoria''' never did get it
The one with deadly screaming.
The TARDIS lands on the surface of the sea and the travellers use a rubber dinghy to get ashore, where they are promptly shot by tranquiliser darts and taken prisoner.
They have arrived in a restricted area, a natural gas refinery, and there have been a series of problems in the pipes. One of the engineers insists that a rhythmic beating sound heard in the pipes must be a living creature.
It turns out that a creature of living weed has made its way into the pipes and can secrete either a gas or a foam that enables it to control the minds of anyone who comes into contact with it. It seems intent on establishing a colony based on the refinery.
The Doctor discovers that the weed is repelled by high-pitched noises when Victoria's screaming drives it away and he uses a recording of the screaming to defeat the weed creature.
Victoria, having had enough of the dangers of travelling with the Doctor, decides to stay with the family of one of the workers, Harris. Jamie is sad to see her go, but the Doctor understands.
This story also sees the debut of the Sonic Screwdriver, the Doctor's signature gadget, which is used as a one-shot item to undo a release valve. It is also the only Second Doctor serial to not begin with "[[TheTheTitle The]]".
* AttackOfTheKillerWhatever: Killer seaweed. It's much scarier than it sounds.
* BrownNote: Victoria's screaming defeats the weed creature.
* EverybodyLives: The Weed does not kill, it possesses. When it is destroyed, its victims recover.
* EveryoneCallsHimBarkeep: The Chief Engineer is one of the largest guest roles in the story. But he doesn't seem to have any name other than "Chief".
* ExactlyWhatItSaysOnTheTin: The sonic screwdriver makes its first ever appearance in the series, and the Doctor uses it... to loosen a screw. For one of the few times ever in the series, the sonic screwdriver is actually used as a screwdriver rather than an all-purpose magic wand.
* FreakOut: Robson
* HairpinLockpick: Used successfully by Victoria.
* IChooseToStay: Victoria stays with the Harris family.
* ItsASmallWorldAfterAll: Lampshaded by Jamie.
* LampshadeHanging: Victoria mentions that the TARDIS always seems to land on Earth.
* MeanBoss: Robson. He refuses to take advice, knows it all and rails against his subordinates for the slightest perceived failure.
* NothingIsScarier: This story manages to make gas, foam and seaweed ''terrifying''.
** An advantage of the episodes not surviving is that it works very well on audio.
* NotHimself: More and more people in the complex.
* OptOut: Victoria, tired of being traumatised all the time, chooses to stay with Harris and his family.
* PlantAliens: Maybe. It's never made clear whether the weed creatures are alien or not. They've been on Earth for centuries, wherever they originate.
* ReasonableAuthorityFigure: Megan Jones, who gives the Doctor all the help she can once she is convinced of the truth of what he's saying.
* ScreamingWoman: The story puts this trope to constructive use.
* ThoseTwoBadGuys: Mister Oak and Mister Quill. Don't let them breathe on you.