Recap / Daria S 3 E 09
Jake has a heart attack and his mother comes by to nurse him. Meanwhile, two Dumbass DJs
are contracted by Ms. Li to broadcast at Lawndale High all week.
This episode provides examples of:
- Break Them by Talking: What Daria essentially does to Bing and the Spatula Man by revealing, on air, that her anxiety from dealing with the ramifications of Jake's heart attack has been compounded from their continuous harassment during the week. The two then quickly pack up their van and get out of Lawndale High without even a word.
- Damned by Faint Praise: Bing and the Spatula Man try to get someone to go out with Upchuck. The response is... less than stellar, especially since the prize for going out with him is a bumper sticker.
Jane: A date for a bumper sticker?
Jodie: Even Upchuck doesn't deserve this kind of humiliation.
Daria: Think how the bumper sticker must feel.
- Dumbass DJ: The guys from Z93.
- Hollywood Heart Attack: Averted. Jake's heart attack starts with Jake getting flustered, followed by losing feeling in his arm, labored breathing, and finally passing out.
- Hypocrite: Ruth Morgendorffer, who still feels the need to harp on Helen and Quinn even after admitting to Jake how unfulfilled and unhappy she was while married to Jake's dad.
- Obnoxious In-Laws: Traditional Homemaker Ruth to the Feminist Career Mom Helen.
- Shut Up, Hannibal!: As Grandma Ruth is laying into Helen and Quinn, Daria shuts her down by reminding her she's not so perfect and was complaining about all her mistakes with raising Jake.