Recap: Calvin And Hobbes The Series S 1 E 8 The Black Turning Funnel Part 2
only for the tornado to suddenly get sucked up back into the clouds.Calvin remarks on how easy that was, but Hobbes notes that the tornado had merely touched down elsewhere. Switching to Plan B, Calvin rockets towards the tornado, circling it. Whilst doing so, the pair witness a cow and a man riding his bike fly by (the former they see twice).
- Calvin: Shall I sing it for you?Hobbes: No.
- Acid Reflux Nightmare: Discussed when the duo talk about Hobbes' dream about tornadoes.
- Anti-Climax: Subverted; the tornado appears to simply have been sucked back up into the clouds, but Hobbes points out that it merely touched down elsewhere.
- Do Not Touch the Funnel Cloud: Averted, as in the first part.
- Gravity Is a Harsh Mistress: Calvin after transmogrifying the tornado.
- I Can't Hear You: The example from the last part is subverted; Calvin knew what Hobbes was saying on the roof all along.
- Insistent Terminology: The elder hawk refuses to call tornadoes by their name, only referring to them as "cyclones". This ends up becoming a downplayed and Played for Laughs version of Poor Communication Kills.
- It Makes Sense in Context: In-Universe example when Calvin's parents arrive home to several farm animals standing in their front yard.
- My Friends... and Zoidberg:Calvin: Well. We've saved our home from total havoc.Hobbes: What about everybody else?Calvin: Uh... Yeah. Them too.
- Oh Crap!: Calvin during the above It Makes Sense in Context moment.
- Poor Communication Kills: See Insistent Terminology.
- Previously On
- Shout-Out/Plagiarism: This line seems awfully reminiscent of SpongeBob SquarePants:Hobbes: Calvin, I rolled up your Captain Napalm comic and used it to clean out my ears!
Calvin: Shall I sing it for you?Hobbes: No.
- This exchange, however, is definitely a Shout-Out:
- On the other hand, the entire scene with the hawks is ripped off from Hank the Cowdog. note
- Smoke Out: How Calvin escapes from the two hawks.
- Time for Plan B: Calvin's Plan B is rocketing straight towards the tornado.
- Title Drop: By Hobbes:"I was just thinking. Remember that dream I had this morning? It was about a funnel, remember? We actually saw and fought against a funnel! A Black Turning Funnel!"
- Why Didn'tYouJustSaySo: Wallace's Insistent Terminology results in a Type B.