Recap: Big Finish Doctor Who NEDAS 4 E 8 Prisoner Of The Sun
The Doctor is being killed by Lucie.Well, by a robot named Chloe who has Lucie's voice. He plays dead in order to fool her, and the robot is deported from their shared prison: a research center inside the core of an unstable sun. The Doctor has spent six years working on a way to keep the sun from blowing up. If it ever should, it would kill two billion people.The Doctor was brought there by the Consensus, a war faction who intended to use the sun as a weapon once, but now try to keep it from becoming one by using the Doctor's skills. What started out as imprisonment has turned into a new reason to live for him, and although he fully realises that it may all be a giant Lotus-Eater Machine, he tries to make the best of his new task and his self-admitted Stockholm Syndrome. Besides, he could escape at any time if he really wanted to (he's just that clever). He's handed a new replacement robot which he names Daphne and which he gives Lucie's voice and personality again.Soon enough, his research is interrupted by:
- The slaves of the Consensus, who claim that the computers are malfunctioning;
- La Résistance, who want to free the Doctor but who are actually in league with the slaves;
- The traitors within La Résistance, who tagged along with the rebels but who secretly want to kill the Doctor because he's more useful as a motivational martyr of legends than as a person;
- Chloe, who was actually not killing the Doctor at all but who was programmed by him to gather outside intel and retrieve the TARDIS;
- An unstoppable self-destruct mechanism; and
- Daphne, who, despite being programmed by the Doctor, is still after all a Consensus creation.
- Acting for Two: Sheridan Smith as Chloe, Daphne and Lucie.
- Cardboard Prison
- Companion Cube: Chloe and Daphne. The Doctor even happily cooks for Daphne, despite the fact that she doesn't need nutrition and that her taste buds are a separate expansion pack.
- Double Reverse Quadruple Agent
- I Know You Know I Know
- Inspirational Martyr: What some of the rebels want to make the Doctor.
- Luxury Prison Suite: The Doctor has a quite comfortable prison, with robot companions and fine food.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilised: The rebels are planning to use the sun as a weapon themselves.
- Theme Naming: The Doctor's robots are named for letters of the English alphabet. He also had two starting with "a" and "b".
- Weird Sun: There is a station inside the core preventing it from blowing up.
- Xanatos Speed Chess: The Doctor is forced into playing it. He's good.