-->"Man, sometimes I forget what a powerful bender that kid is."
One particular morning, Aang comes to a stunning revelation: Katara is hot. This revelation becomes even stronger when they meet a renowned fortune teller and he overhears part of her fortune "You are going to marry a powerful bender.", but is dismayed when his fortune contains only a tiny (fake) counterpart love prediction. Meanwhile, Sokka tries to convince the locals that Aunt Wu's predictions are either false or can be explained by science. When Aang comes to him for advice, Sokka misinterprets it to mean he likes a local girl (See AbhorrentAdmirer in tropes section) and tells Aang to be aloof. This doesn't work, so Aang instead tries a rare flower that only grows on an active volcano. When the group discover that the volcano's ready to blow, they have to convince the whole town that Aunt Wu was wrong and band together to avert the catastrophe.
* AbhorrentAdmirer: Aunt Wu's assistant, Meng, for Aang . . . sort of. He lets her down way gently after he figures out what's going on.
* ArbitrarySkepticism: Sokka lives in a world where his sister and best friend control the elements and spirits walk the earth, but he's insistent that fortune telling is impossible.
** Aang sees Katara in this way with the sun shining down on her.
** This is also done for Meng towards Aang, who kinda ruined the mood by acting aloof.
* BowelBreakingBricks: The platypus-bear lays an egg in fear when Appa comes to Aang's defense.
* BreatherEpisode: A light hearted episode in which the Fire Nation is nowhere to be seen.
* ButtMonkey: Sokka, as Aunt Wu manages to figure out with just one look at him. He also gets attacked by a duck, and driven mad by the villagers and their cheerful blind obedience to Aunt Wu's predictions.
* CaptainObvious: Aunt Wu reads Aang's future, and sees an epic battle, a struggle that will determine the fate of the world! ... Aang just looks unimpressed. He was hoping to learn if he and Katara would ever get together.
* CassandraTruth: The villagers refuse to listen to Sokka warning them about the volcano because he's been telling them Aunt Wu is wrong.
* ChekhovsVolcano: Yes, it does erupt, as per the trope.
* ChirpingCrickets: Done with a duck.
* ConstantlyCurious: Katara does this to Aunt Wu over her future, from how long she will live to what she should have for breakfast.
* ContinuityNod: Aang makes Katara a new necklace to replace the one stolen from her in an earlier episode.
* CrushFilter: Applied to Katara when she asks Aang how she looks with her new necklace on.
* ExactWords: Aunt Wu predicts that the town won't be destroyed by a volcano this year. After the group discovers that the volcano is about to blow, and they only just barely manage to divert all the lava and smoke, Sokka explains that Aunt Wu was wrong. The townsman they met at the beginning of the episode points out that she was right: She never said the volcano wouldn't erupt, she said, correctly, the town wouldn't be destroyed. Sokka doesn't take this well.
* FromTheMouthsOfBabes: Meng does not have a good opinion of Katara, nor does she take the fact that Aang likes her more very well.
* IdenticalTwinIDTag: Poi and Ping are identical, save for the fact Poi goes barefoot to be closer to the earth, which identifies him as an earthbender and his brother Ping, who wears shoes, as a non-bender.
* LaughOfLove: [[PrecociousCrush Meng]] giggles when Aang catches her hands as she accidentally trips while carrying a tray full of snacks, and later when she admits that she's been [[StalkerWithACrush stalking him]].
** This is the first episode where Aang shows a clear attraction to Katara.
** Similarly, Katara gets a whiff of one when Sokka says the page quote above after Aang saves the town, which has her recalling her fortune of marrying "a powerful bender".
* MagicVersusScience: Sokka versus the villagers tends to move into this.
--> '''Villager''': Can your ''science'' explains why it rains?
--> '''Sokka''': YES! ''Yes it can!''
* MeaningfulName: Meng can mean "dream", which is one way of predicting the future.
* MixAndMatchCritters: Lampshaded. The fortuneteller's town has normal, non-hybrid ducks, and Sokka is shown to be baffled by them, since most of the animals in the Avatar world are of the mix-and-match variety.
* MoodWhiplash: At the very end, Meng and Katara seem to come to an understanding, the Gaang leaves, and suddenly Meng is glaring.
* NoAntagonist: The only danger comes from the volcano. In many stories like this Aunt Wu would be a malicious conwoman, but there's no indication given that she doesn't believe in her own abilities (although she does admit to reshaping predictions so as to be more palatable for the people who receive them, and she's clearly making stuff up when Katara starts asking her questions about ''everything'')
* NonchalantDodge: The scholar being attacked by the platypus-bear at the beginning.
* OneDialogueTwoConversations: Aang asks Sokka for help with wooing a certain someone, with Sokka being more than supportive of his choice. However, Aang is referring to Katara, but Sokka thinks he's crushing on Meng.
* ScrewDestiny: Wu, despite being a fortune teller, ends the episode telling the Gang to shape their own destinies.
** Wu predicts that the village will not be destroyed by the volcano and it is because the Gang does not believe her that they check it out anyway. It is going to erupt but because of their actions the village is not destroyed.
** One man is told he will be wearing a certain pair of shoes when he meets his true love. So of course, he wears them everyday. Hearing this one drives Sokka nuts.
* ShipTease: Katara's prediction does double duty as both this and ShipSinking. It disqualifies any non-benders (Jet) for her canon ship while promoting the two main ships (Aang/Zuko), although it mostly promotes Kataang. It could also have included Haru, whom the team already met ("Imprisoned") as an impressive self-taught Earth-Bender.
* StalkerWithACrush: Meng towards Aang. She even admits it.
* TemptingFate: Sokka manages to get the rain to stop just by doing this.
-->'''Sokka:''' [[SarcasmMode It's going to keep drizzling.]]
-->(''The weather instantly clears.'')
-->'''Aang:''' Not everyone has the gift, Sokka.
* ThatCloudLooksLike: Aunt Wu makes predictions based on cloud shapes.
-->'''Aang''': That cloud kinda looks like a fluffy bunny!
-->'''Villager''': You'd better hope that's not a bunny. The Fluffy Bunny cloud forecasts [[KillerRabbit doom and destruction]].
* VaguenessIsComing: Wu predicts "a great battle between the forces of good and evil" for Aang but does not elaborate. Subverted in that Aang knows full well what she's referring to, as it's what they've been preparing for the entire series thus far.
* WhosOnFirst: A mild version.
--> "Aunt who?" "''No,'' Aunt Wu!"