'''Basic Trope''': An otherwise average or weak character suddenly becomes a lot more powerful and/or competent
* '''Straight''': Bob goes from being an average hero into being a kickass superhero who can beat up bad guys easily.
* '''Exaggerated''': Bob was a FailureHero who became an InvincibleHero, who [[DidYouJustPunchOutCthulhu slaughters]] an EldritchAbomination in a CurbStompBattle.
* '''Downplayed''': Bob goes from a civilian who was always under threat of capture to somebody able to hold their own in a fight with Mooks, but struggles with more competent bad guys.
** Bob went to a ninja academy which taught him loads of badass skills.
** After so many fights, Bob was bound to get better.
* '''Inverted''': Bob undergoes BadassDecay.
* '''Subverted''': We think Bob is beating people up, but the people he beats up are even more pathetic than the original Bob.
* '''Double Subverted''': He then promptly goes and beats up a whole bunch of insanely tough bad guys.
* '''Parodied''': Bob used to be a nerd, complete with a [[GeekPhysiques geek physique]]. He retains this appearance, and yet is able to [[BadassBookworm beat people up like a]] OneManArmy.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob tries to become extra badass, but by beating up kittens. Then he takes on some real enemies...and loses. But then we discover he [[IAmNotLeftHanded was holding back his power all along!]]
* '''Averted''': All characters stay at about the same badass level throughout the story.
* '''Enforced''': "This Bob character is a bit pathetic. Let's spice him up and improve the ratings by adding a few fight scenes!"
* '''Lampshaded''': "My God, Bob, you used to be pathetic, but you've gotten good at fighting all of a sudden!"
* '''Invoked''': [[TheMentor Bob's mentor]] sends him to a ninja school in order to make him a better fighter.
* '''Exploited''': [[TheRival Bob's rival]] beats him up and humiliates him so Bob will put himself through [[TrainingFromHell intense training]] to get revenge and become the [[WorthyOpponent Worthy Opponent]] he wants
** Bob fails to become stronger when faced with DieOrFly circumstances, and cracks under pressure rather than undergo CharacterDevelopment.
** Alternatively, he'd rather forego said development because he doesn't want to be a killer.
* '''Discussed''': "Oh, look, the BigBad is coming - guess Bob is going to show him he's not what he used to be."
* '''Conversed''': "That Bob is a hell of a lot tougher than he was last episode..."
** In an effort to [[IJustWantToBeBadass become more badass]], Bob goes through TrainingFromHell to make himself stronger. The torment he undergoes destroys his psyche, which is only revealed later, at a pivotal point in the story.
** Bob's attempt to take a level in badass transforms him FromNobodyToNightmare, as he discards his morality and empathy in favor of incredible power.
** Bob starts off as a ShrinkingViolet ActualPacifist, but the events of the story make him [[GrewASpine grow a spine]] and [[ItGetsEasier less reluctant to kill]] - but at the cost of [[CorruptTheCutie his]] [[BreakTheCutie innocence]].
** Bob willingly subjects himself to TrainingFromHell to become strong enough to save his beloved Alice. When all is said and done, he decides it was WorthIt.
** Bob becomes a KnightInSourArmor and holds on to his original idealism, all while kicking ass.
Oof! You aren't the same wimp you were two seasons ago... I intuit you TookALevelInBadass during the break?
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???
%%* '''Played For Laughs''': ???
%%* '''Played For Drama''': ???