'''Basic Trope''': A character takes a shortcut, only to get lost.
* '''Straight''': [[NuclearFamily The Tropers]] are on a road trip. [[BumblingDad Bob]] decides to take the ScenicRoute...and ends up getting the family lost.
* '''Exaggerated''': The Tropers [[NiceJobBreakingItHero wind up stranded out in the middle of the desert]].
* '''Downplayed''': Bob takes the "short cut" and it gets the family to their destination, several hours later than they wanted to arrive.
** Bob is too proud to ask directions when he gets lost.
** The Tropers had to complete some silly FetchQuest or [[GoingToSeeTheElephant go see some cheesy tourist trap]] [[ItsTheJourneyThatCounts on the way]].
** Bob had to go off the main route to find a rest stop because one of the kids had a PottyEmergency.
** There is a possible shortcut going that way, but it's either closed due to road construction or requires several turns and Bob keeps missing them.
* '''Inverted''': Bob takes the ScenicRoute, and it gets them to their destination in less time than it would have taken to stay on the main roads.
* '''Subverted''': Bob stays on main roads in populated areas.
* '''Double Subverted''': But he takes a wrong turn and gets lost.
* '''Parodied''': The car is seen in front of stock scenery of Mt. Everest, the Pyramids, a beach, the surface of the moon, etc.
* '''Zig Zagged''': Bob takes one shortcut, then he changes his mind and turns back to get back on the main road, except he ends up taking another route just to get back to the main road, and once he does find the main road again, he spots yet another ScenicRoute and tries that way.
* '''Averted''': Bob does not take any shortcuts.
* '''Enforced''': ItsTheJourneyThatCounts, IdiotPlot.
* '''Lampshaded''': "ChristopherColumbus didn't need directions, and neither do I!"
* '''Invoked''': Bob decides to take a shortcut, even [[DirectionlessDriver throwing the map out the window]].
* '''Exploited''': ???
* '''Defied''': Bob is GenreSavvy enough to know that this will cause problems, so he stays on main roads.
* '''Discussed''': "You see Bob over there? Whatever you do, don't get a ride with him. He likes to take "shortcuts". Believe me, you'll never arrive on-time with him."
* '''Conversed''': ???
* '''Played For Laughs''': The Tropers had intended to go to the amusement park for the day. They instead end up in front of a strip club.
* '''Played For Drama''': The Tropers have to stay in a creepy little town with a DarkAndTroubledPast involving a [[SlasherMovie deranged killer]].
Back to ShortCutsMakeLongDelays
%% Optional items, added after Conversed, at your discretion:
%%* '''Implied''': ???
%%* '''Deconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Reconstructed''': ???
%%* '''Plotted A Good Waste''': ???