Playing With: Pride Parade
Basic Trope: A pride parade is held, empowering people of non-mainstream sexuality and/or gender identity. Onlookers may or may not like this, for various reasons.
Back to Pride Parade
- Straight: The parade serves as a setting, background event or plot device.
- Exaggerated: The portrayal of the parade focus on colorful but shallow stereotypes.
- Downplayed: The parade is an outwardly normal parade sponsored by a Gay-Straight Alliance.
- Justified: The characters have helped organize the event, or are looking forward to attending.
- Inverted: A "Straight Pride" parade, or somebody talking about how there should be one.
- The characters try to arrange a parade, but the local authorities forbid it for one reason or another.
- Despite the rainbow flags and colorful and skimpy outfits, it is actually a traditional festival.
- Double Subverted: However, the festival died out a generation ago - until it was restarted as a pride parade.
- Parodied: The paraders (and/or counter-protesters) are Strawman Political.
- Zig Zagged: ???
- Averted: There is no pride parade.
- Enforced: ???
- Lampshaded: A character (or the narrator) talks about the parade, analyzing some aspect of it.
- Invoked: A real or hypothetical pride parade is mentioned.
- Exploited: ???
- Defied: ???
- Discussed: "Troperville should have a pride parade sometime."
- Conversed: ???
- Deconstructed: Someone argues that Pride parades do nothing but glorify stereotypes of sexual and gender minorities, and don't do enough to focus on "normal" members of the community.
- Reconstructed: Someone else retorts that a parade of gay accountants would be immensely boring, and would be more about fitting in than showcasing diversity.
- Played For Laughs: People in the parade and/or audience are hilarious.
- Played For Drama:
- The narrative bring up issues of hate crimes, homophobia, and so on.
- Or complains about this horrible threat against the respective country's culture or dominant religion.
- Untwisted: The local authorities are very strict, and you'd think they would prohibit a pride parade, but they allow it.
Back to Pride Parade